Rainfall Totals

Same here. I thought it was an issue with my laptop or browser but I guess not. Following...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I use agrible.com and their associated rain gauge app. You can draw the perimeters of exactly where you want info. I don’t really use the app anymore but they send emails every morning with the table from the screenshot below. They got bought by nutrien last year and I think setup would be different now, not sure how it would work but it’s still free for me. Usually pretty accurate but not perfect by any means.

7CDCCFFE-D7CA-44CC-A8D9-AFD4BA9D1706.png

Same here. I thought it was an issue with my laptop or browser but I guess not. Following...

I tried to adjust what I could on the site but could not zoom in.

Go back here:
https://habitat-talk.com/threads/farm-logs-replacement.10928/post-199706

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adding this:

There's a lot to consider in using one of these government or commercial sites. Unless you have your own personal rain gauges scattered around your property you will never know for sure - exactly. Rainfall at a given point can vary, sometimes wildly, from another point not that far away. Still, most estimations are in the ballpark.

The data in the example below is based on Doppler Radar reflectance. This has been correlated with ground based point locations and is backed by billions of observations over time.

Each pixel in the illustration covers a square of about 2 1/2 miles on a side. Point being, the estimate is an average of rainfall in that area.

Syngenta's GreenCast tools are also useful.

If you are real adventurous go here:
https://prism.oregonstate.edu/
This is specified as a preferred site for determining crop insurance indemnity payments. It's NWS data modeled to coax more meaning from the observations.

https://water.weather.gov/precip/
1691426711225.png

Last edited:
Put in a garden. Have your neighbor go check the rain gauge and take produce as compensation for the report.

I rely on my rain gauge for the most accurate measurement. This Status is a Professional model and it is very accurate.

IMG_3393.jpg

I hang it on a post by the orchard/garden...
IMG_7893.jpg

The inner tube holds exactly 1 inch which is measured in 100ths of an inch. If you get more than an inch the excess overflows into an outer tube. You dump the 1 inch from the inner tube and then pour in the rest of the rain from the outer tube and measure that....repeat if necessary... We got 1.47" in this rain event...
IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg
I read the amount and empty the rain gauge first thing in the morning so the rain is actually from the previous day/night.

Not very scientific here either but I just record the rainfall in a log I printed off the net...
IMG_9303.jpg

Unfortunately, until about 2 weeks ago, we didn't have much rain to record this year...
IMG_2225.jpg

I don't believe much, if any, of the rain evaporates from this rain gauge if you happen to be out of town for a while. I usually read it when I get home after being gone and it is usually pretty close to what my neighbor's have noted for that same period. Note in the log above for June of 2022, I was gone for a week and had 1.25" in the gauge when I got back home.

I used to work on a ranch in NM. We kept rain logs, but they were checked monthly. We would put a cap full of transmission fluid in the gauge which would float on top of the water and prevent evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just in case someone is looking at getting a decent rain gauge, we have been using this one for three years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0791B6B48?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It is a self-tipping rain gauge and tracks rainfall over time. The digital display is about 50 yards from the gauge in the house. We have just replaced the batteries a few times. It can do snow but is much less accurate. Very accurate otherwise.

Same exact issue for me. Used to be able to zoom all the way into different parts of my property and get individual readings. That was nice, and even though you knew it was an estimate, it was markedly better than Cocorahs, which has such wide ranges and many times for me requires approximating if your location is between two different color ranges etc.

The noaa data farmer dan showed is very good. MY company uses it to predict water coming in from the creeks and rivers to predict what they need to do with flood mitigation with large hydro units. They can also run a unit in pump mode, sucking up peak flood levels to the upper reservoir. Often taking a financial hit, 300 megwatts an hour per unit

Sometimes they run the flow higher at the begining of an event so they have capacity to absorb the peak flood levels. Also used to predict run of river hydro unit maintenance. Maybe lay off taking a unit out of service to catch the extra revenue.

The noaa data farmer dan showed is very good. MY company uses it to predict water coming in from the creeks and rivers to predict what they need to do with flood mitigation with large hydro units. They can also run a unit in pump mode, sucking up peak flood levels to the upper reservoir. Often taking a financial hit, 300 megwatts an hour per unit

Sometimes they run the flow higher at the begining of an event so they have capacity to absorb the peak flood levels. Also used to predict run of river hydro unit maintenance. Maybe lay off taking a unit out of service to catch the extra revenue.
That is super interesting. Can the upper reservoir also be used to generate electricity later? Do you know of any youtube videos that break this down more? I have been enjoying learning about power storage options like this.

That is super interesting. Can the upper reservoir also be used to generate electricity later? Do you know of any youtube videos that break this down more? I have been enjoying learning about power storage options like this.
Not alot of good videos, here's one though.

Some systems have 1 generator and 1 pump assembly. MY plant has (4) pump / gen units. To pump, you use compressed air and blow the water out of the unit. Swap ABC to ACB phase rortation, basically swapping 2 phases of th 3 phase power. A smaller 20,000 hp starter motor spins the empty unit at rated speed about 275 rpm. Close the main breaker when your at 60hz on the generator. Fill the unit back with water, then open the inlet valve once the unit is producing enough pressure to pump water up the hill.

Used to be excellent back in the day with these huge fossil and nuclear units. Steam fossil plants take about 6-12 hours to restart if they shut down, so they just run at low load at night. Nuclear units basically run rated load all the time. All the extra megawatts on the grid would be sucked up in these pump storage plants. Then when extra demand is needed during the day, they run.

Most pumped storage plants dam up a river or in my case a creek. That is the lower resevoir. Upper reservoir is abut 1000ft up a mountain. MY plant has (4) units that can make a little over 1100 megawatts. About the same power as a nuclear plant. Pumping can be done in about 10 minutes, To start a unit in gen mode take about 2-3 minutes.

Many large fossil and nuclear plants have trouble making enough power to get themselves started without using the grid. Huge boiler pumps, Fans blowing air in the boiler and out, natural gas compressors for gas turbines, etc..... This place just needs a DC battery to get going. We do have backup diesel generators, but can start generating without them. We can start the grid to get these plants up and running again.

There's a pumped storage plant in california that pumps during the day and generates at night because all of the solar over there. Solar and wind can and have over generated from time to time. Higher than 60hz and higher voltages. Grids, the plants governor and exciter systems, and power line protetion packages are very coordinated to operate together as well s power dispatch control. Basically the system operator telling you to make so much power and when. The system basically need more storage. Battery sotrage, pumped hydro storage, or dispatchable loads, like asking a large electric using plant to use less or more load, like maybe a hydrogen generating plant, chlorine generating plant, or even large foundaries or smelting plants. Thats what the smart grid is more about, telling your load what to do. Shut of water heaters, dish washers, or using electric cars to stop charging, or even having the electric cars pump electricty back into the gird while plugged in. Be great to plug your car in and find out it didn't charge.....

My region has a pumped storage plant 2 run of the river approx 30ft tall dam plants on the mohawk river, and have 3 hydro plants that use NYC water aqueduct system between resevoirs.

I work on the controls and protection systems for the area. Not too bad, good pay, not alot of emails, not too many middle of night problems either. They even payed for my professional engineers license too. And I get to be in the middle of the catskill mountains. My wife's parents are getting well into their 70's, so we live next door. Alot of guys where I work have 50-150 acre playgrounds. Lots of public land to hunt, and the reservoirs allow boating and fishing too.

Last edited:
Just in case someone is looking at getting a decent rain gauge, we have been using this one for three years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0791B6B48?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

It is a self-tipping rain gauge and tracks rainfall over time. The digital display is about 50 yards from the gauge in the house. We have just replaced the batteries a few times. It can do snow but is much less accurate. Very accurate otherwise.

I ordered one of these for at home. Just unboxing and setting up today. Did you have to calibrate it? I ran a little test pouring water in it and it definitely is not accurate with the way I performed that test. I thought it could double and a thermometer too but it just does indoor temps. I’ll mess with it a little more to see if I can figure it out.

I ordered one of these for at home. Just unboxing and setting up today. Did you have to calibrate it? I ran a little test pouring water in it and it definitely is not accurate with the way I performed that test. I thought it could double and a thermometer too but it just does indoor temps. I’ll mess with it a little more to see if I can figure it out.
I did just as you did. I used a syringe and a kitchen scale to check to make sure it was accurate. It was close enough (5-10%) to where I just went with it without calibrating. I just found the manual online that has the calibration steps by googling the model number and manual. Let me know if that doesn't work.

How far off is the calibration from actual?

I’ve got the free Agrible ap on my phone.
It’s pretty accurate wherever I am, I just open it up after a rain and it finds my location and tells me.

I did just as you did. I used a syringe and a kitchen scale to check to make sure it was accurate. It was close enough (5-10%) to where I just went with it without calibrating. I just found the manual online that has the calibration steps by googling the model number and manual. Let me know if that doesn't work.

How far off is the calibration from actual?
I just weighed water in a cup, and slowly poured the water into it, and re-weighed the cup to get water weight. I used the conversion factor they provided in the instructions to get from grams to CM. I think the calculation said I should have been about 1.25" but the gauge only said 0.06". Only thing I can think is it might not work well with how fast the water was coming in. I'll try again tonight.