radish and turnip which is which?

j-bird

I have planted GFR and appin turnips this year and I "think" I know which is which, but I know others have much more exp with these than I. So - which is which????turnip and radish.jpg

Dig one of each up.....and have a good look at the bulbs (which really should be popping out of the ground by now....even in Indiana). When did you plant those?

planted labor day weekend. The appin turnips are a forage turnip and as such don't produce much of a tuber. I struggle to get my deer to eat the leaves as it is - I will worry about tubers later. From what I have seen I thought the GFR was on the radish was on the left as well, but wasn't 100%. These are mixed with wheat, rye and AWP - I hope the deer hit it once the corn and beans are harvested (in process on my farm now). I normally have soybeans and corn standing thru the winter, but our screwed up spring kept me from getting those planted this year. I normally overseed the cereal grains and brassicas into my beans once they yellow so I have green forage and a nice winter grain available.

Fill in that bare soil with some cereals, peas and clover. The deer will eat them than

Dipper - look closer at the pic - there is awp and rye in this plot as well all ready. I went light on the rye to give everything a head start and will then overseed another dose of rye toward the end of the month. No clovers though. I have a light deer density and lots of acorns and ag crops - the deer will come in due time (I still doubt they will eat the damn turnips and radish however).

Exposed soil disrupts the micro biology of the soil, essentially killing it, or parts of it. i don't understand why you just wouldn't seed it adequally in the first place? Don't want plants to get over mature?

I am fearful that the rye (as I have limited exp with it) would get to mature and I was also fearful of putting it on too heavy and doing more harm than good. I can always add more (and will), but it's tough to take it out. Fall annualplos are still an experiment for me. I typically just have standing beans or corn and the overseed for something green. I'm still learning - ain't we all?

That Dipper don't like exposed soil! He got after me on my bean plot this summer;)

That Dipper don't like exposed soil! He got after me on my bean plot this summer;)
Foggy got a curse, watch out

These talks always seem to find a way into,"my deer is bigger than yours".
The soil was capable of producing that crop due to millions of years of soil covered by organic material. That built itself into what it is today. Humans are very efficient at exploiting this and taking all the credit. Just like any resource it doesn't last forever if you don't care for it....or it will be gone.
That corn didn't just appear with expensive fertilizer. Wouldn't it be nice if you could do some things to minimize the amount of fertilizer needed and make sure none of it escapes???

Dipper - you will be glad to hear I will be overseedig rye into my brassica plots this weekend (once I get done shoveling corn).

Foggy got a
Dipper - you will be glad to hear I will be overseedig rye into my brassica plots this weekend (once I get done shoveling corn).
LOL at least spread it thin so its less noticeable ehh ;) That looked like about 400lbs at least!!!

Sort of felt like being scolded by my dad! "You call that a rye plot?" "Damn kids these days.......when I was your age I........"

Just having some fun Dipper!

It's your place not mine, just trying to help

it's all good!

LOL at least spread it thin so its less noticeable ehh ;) That looked like about 400lbs at least!!!

I was referring to the corn in the above post.
In all seriousness I do think Dipper has a good point with being aware of soil conservation but get what JBird is trying to achieve with allowing his brassicas less competition for soil nutrients intialy then top seeding with rye to fill in any bare spots.

:DBrassica plot oct 25.jpg Emma seeding rye Oct 25 2014.jpgWell like I stated I was going to overseed rye (and I did over the weekend - rain expected today)! As you can see my "help" wasn't quite in the mood for a photo op! I can't post the pic I took after his one - man she is rude, she must get that from her mother! I knew the initial seeding of the rye was on the light side as I wanted the turnips, AWP and radish to have a chance to establish. There was some rye planted originally, but I felt adding more later was a better course of action. Plot was planted Labor Day weekend.