Radish after frost

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
What happens to radish after a frost? Will the leaves stay green and keep growing till it gets too cold? I got a pretty good plot of radish that the deer are starting hit pretty hard, but would like to get a little more out of. Would it be of any benefit to still add some nitrogen? I do know that a frost could come any day at this point.

Mine stay green into winter and I’m in Minnesota. The only reason I can see fertilizing is if you got it in late and don’t have much growth yet. It will keep growing after frost hits up until it stays below freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that is exactly why I would do it. I wasn't sure if giving them a dose now would do anything or not. Got a for sure rain coming Sunday, might as well try it. Nothing to lose I guess.

Like any in the Brassica family, the leaf root, entire plant will also get sweeter and lose some of the bitterness that you can taste prior to several frosts.

Come on now,... you guys browse on your food plots too right? LOLOL

I do,. just to see what is going on and if things are true,.. like do brassicas get sweeter? Yes they do!

What happens to radish after a frost? Will the leaves stay green and keep growing till it gets too cold? I got a pretty good plot of radish that the deer are starting hit pretty hard, but would like to get a little more out of. Would it be of any benefit to still add some nitrogen? I do know that a frost could come any day at this point.

In my area, we get some pretty warm days after we get a frost. I find that deer will begin to use my GHR forage as soon as it grows, but don't use PTT forage much until after a hard frost. They will then hit the GHR tubers while they last, but they die and rot in my are pretty quickly. PTT tubers are typically are not used much until late in our year and often after deer season. In years when we have a mast crop failure, all bets are off and they will hit everything in our plots.

The yellowing of leaves and rotting of tubers may be a south vs north thing.

Thanks,

Jack

Things rot in the north too but nothing can rot when it's frozen solid. Stuff will rot in the spring here in Minnesota after everything thaws out.

This topic is another reason to pay attention to the BRIX readings. Plants with a higher brix scale will withstand frost better and keep growing several more days when compared to plants with a low BRIX.

The deer usually hammer my turnips and radishes shortly after I apply N to them. I am not sure if it is the fresh growth it gets from the nitrogen or if it has something to do with the nitrogen itself? But they won’t leave the greens alone after that.

With that, if you still have a few weeks, put it down.

Well I did fertilize and we got 2" of rain on sunday. Now a little warmth and no more rain, please. Put down a combo of ams and urea.