Raccoon trapping

Curious. What do people do with the dead ones?
Hummm…mine become bait for the coyote traps, but that leaves another question open for another thread.

Fertilizer for trees.

We have a season so we can't get rid of the vermin this time of year,I need to get to work on a barrel trap that maybe can catch several

We have a season so we can't get rid of the vermin this time of year,I need to get to work on a barrel trap that maybe can catch several

What kind of barrel trap are you referring to? I’m interested in some
Type of Multi catch trap myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m gonna pick up some traps and give it a try. Are you using any lure squirted around the trap or just marshmallows/dog/cat food? I read some squirt fish oil around. And what are you dispatching them with? Was thinking I’d just bring a .22 and pop them in the head.

Reactions: 356
I’m gonna pick up some traps and give it a try. Are you using any lure squirted around the trap or just marshmallows/dog/cat food? I read some squirt fish oil around. And what are you dispatching them with? Was thinking I’d just bring a .22 and pop them in the head.
So far I haven't used any lure, just baited traps set near known travel ways from trail cam pics. 10-4 on the .22. Envision an X between their ears and eyes and aim where the lines intersect. Solid points are said to leave less mess but I haven't tried them yet.

This morning I had the second time in my life where an animal took 5+ shots to the head but still kept moving, almost zombie like, when I went to pick it up………baby opossums in the pouch that I couldn’t see from the angle I was shooting. Mom was long dead but the babies moved the whole body from underneath.

I once had a .17 hm2 shell go off, but the bullet never left the case and I did not realize it. The opossum played dead. I went to pick it up and almost had an accident as it came back to life and snapped at me. From that day on I always smack the heck out of them with a big stick before I consider getting close.

When I first started using DP traps, I used cat food and mini marshmallows and had average success. I started adding syrup to the bait mix and that has been a game changer for me. I do wash my traps after I am done trapping for the year just to make sure the stickiness is gone. I will never go back to using cage traps, DPs are the bee's knees!!

When I first started using DP traps, I used cat food and mini marshmallows and had average success. I started adding syrup to the bait mix and that has been a game changer for me. I do wash my traps after I am done trapping for the year just to make sure the stickiness is gone. I will never go back to using cage traps, DPs are the bee's knees!!
Not sure where you are located - but anything sweet, or meat - in my traps this time of year will immediately be covered with fireants. I can pretty much only use dry cat food and floating catfish food - and some fish oil or clam juice around the traps. My coons have definitely become dog proof trap shy. I catch them the first two nights after setting. I can still catch them in a dirt hole set or trail set - but that is more labor intensive. If I wait a month or two, then I can set again and catch a few more.

Put out 6 traps last night and had 2 coons this morning.
Two less egg predators! Good work. I had three last night by the chicken coop. 12 in the past two week and I only trap on weekends. Our coon population exploded this year. Not a single poult on our cameras this year. I finally caught the large female (20#) that had figured out how to work the dog proof traps.

Back in the mid to late 80’s we were getting $40 for a large hide.
We got the same here in Pa. $38 to $40 for a large, more for jumbo's. And they're easy to attract to your set. It's a shame the fur isn't used anymore - good warm stuff.

Last edited:
Three more chicken & egg eatin' coons this morning. If prices were 80s style, I'd be buying a new deer rifle about now. I remember well my brother-in-law in northern Minnesota running his trap line around '83 or '84 and buying a Harley at the end of the season with his profits. Sadly, I didn't start trapping for predator reduction until the 2010s, when the prices were depressed.

According to the state of Missouri, a raccoon density of 1 coon per 15-20 acres is normal in the country. I have been trapping the 2 acre area near our chicken coops for the past two months and taken 24 coons. At some point my mind is saying, "There gone...then this picture," which is closest to the chicken coop:

I know coons disperse, but this is getting ridiculous.
PICT0604_202207161113vFqeO.jpg

They love your spot for sure!! I’m heading up to my place on Monday. Gonna put my 6 traps out for that night. Might even pick up 2 more traps on my way up. I switched to the shotgun for dispatching them after 1 last weekend wanted to soak up the .22 rounds.

They love your spot for sure!! I’m heading up to my place on Monday. Gonna put my 6 traps out for that night. Might even pick up 2 more traps on my way up. I switched to the shotgun for dispatching them after 1 last weekend wanted to soak up the .22 rounds.
I found between the eyes, toward the tail, with a hollow-point 22LR is a one shot kill. If you can get subsonic rounds, all the better. My favorite coon story is from the day my wife says there are coons at her bird feeder. Five coons had ripped the bottom out of the feeder and were feasting on sunflower seeds. One round from the 12 gauge took out all five coons....that's what I call conversation of resources!

We trap about a hundred coons a year off our place. Curiously also as we manage our fly problem around the feeders coons seem to disappear.