quiz: match leaf to tree

kabic

5 year old buck +
http://lacrossetribune.com/fall-col...tml_2ff31047-cfbb-56a3-b137-a331a946b40d.html

I got 3 wrong when matching the 10 leaf silhouettes to the proper tree. I'm sure some of you guys on here can do better. I cant believe I mixed up the bur oak and red oak since I was just looking at the bur oak leaf earlier today.

Last edited:
13 attempts. :)

17 attempts. Better watch out when the saw comes out for winter browse. Indiscriminate may be a good term. Hope I do better looking at bark?

12 attempts. I thought that was pretty good. Almost in Stu's class, but not quite.

20 for me but I'm pretty new to all the tree varieties, and some of those I don't think I have ever seen in person

12/10 for me

17 as well for me.

10/10 -I was concerned about the paper birch and the elm -really don't pay much atttention to either. In my woods if it looks like an elm - it's crap and is getting cut or hinged!

11 to get 10; that son of a BEECH got me ... rarely see one!

14/10, not bad considering my theory that if it's not a conifer and it doesn't produce mast, it's either getting hinged, made into firewood, or it will become a stand tree.

14/10, not bad considering my theory that if it's not a conifer and it doesn't produce mast, it's either getting hinged, made into firewood, or it will become a stand tree.

That is what I was thinking as I took the quiz. And a bark quiz would have more value when snow is on the ground. Bring on the bark quiz!

It's funny how we quickly asses the value of a particular type of tree. One of various tree bark would be interesting as well since most of us do our cutting when the leaves are gone. I do however tend to mark my "do not cut" trees with paint or ribbon so I don't get carried away.

I can tell you right now I would flunk any type of bark quiz, unless it were 3 guesses and the trees were red pine, shagbark hickory, and honey locust.:oops:

10 for 10. I had a tree identification project in junior high. I guess because Dad & I were always outdoor guys, and I love the woods, it STUCK !!!

14 tries to get the 12 correct. The one tree was an older, more mature version of another. ( 2nd quiz )

Last edited:
Not sure about you guys but about half of the possible aswers on the bark test are ones I have zero exp with. I am pretty decent with those that are "native" to my area. I guess I need to expand my knowledge beyond my own little world! Never seen pin cherry, striped maple or many birch trees either.

I was on a property visit once (sponseredby a QDMA member nearTerre Haute, IN) and a fellow from WI was there as well and he asked me why so many trees where dying. He was talking about the sycamore trees which are extremely common here in IN. As the tree matures the outter bark flakes off and leaves a more white much smoother bark behind - and at a distance you might think the tree was dead and the bark had slipped off (leaf drop had already occured). He had never seen one before. What was very common to me was totally out of the norm to him.