Questions on a ATV sprayer.

JackTerp

5 year old buck +
I am looking at several ATV sprayers. I am confused about the GPM's. What are the advantages or disadvantages with a 1.8gpm as compared to a 5.o? I notice most operate at up to 60psi but I do not see where they state it is adjustable. Would that be a good thing? I would like a boomless with a wand also for spot spraying and for spraying to a distance. Any recommendations?

I have a Fimco boomless sprayer with a hand wand that meets your specs. I cannot remember the GPM on the pump....but it was the bigger one offered. I have a 3 nozzle "boomles" boom at the rear that is about 4' wide. Seems to do a good job.

Lately I have had problems with my pump "catching" a prime. Not sure what is up with it......and I am getting disgusted. I think mine is 6 years old. Some of my nozzles leak and I don't know how to fix my "prime" problem. Not sure it's worth investing more into replacing the pump and a few nozzles (expensive $$).

I think the 25 gallon Fimco brand is as good as any.....but it's just like Rosanne Rosanna Dana said: "It's always something".

You can get rebuild kits for the pumps. I Had the same problem last year rebuilt the pump and took care of my problem. also ck your tank screen.

Foggy it's prolly the pressure switch diaphragm sticking. Look straight at your pump and pressure switch is on the right it's a small square with two screws. Turn the pump on and slowly loosen two screws until water comes out then retighten while pump is still on. Rubber diaphragm needs to be seated or it will leak but this should help prime and build pressure right away. Don't overtighten screws or you will crack plastic. I think the rubber dries out some because we don't use these sprayers very often so you might have this problem more than once. Leaky tips shouldn't affect the prime because the diaphragm holds your pressure/prime for the pump.

Last edited:
5.0 GPM seems like overkill to me for a small sprayer. I have a 2.1 for my 30 gallon sprayer and it's more than enough for the fold out boom on mine.

^^ Thanks for the advice. I really need to go over my sprayer. Too many little things are getting nasty with the operation. Time to put the baling wire away......and spend a few dollars getting it fixed right. Thanks guys......I got some stuff to check now. ;)

Is 5gpm necessary or even advantageous? 5 gpm will empty a 26 gallon tank in 5 minutes. That seems awful quick to get anything done. Or am I missing something. Are these compatible with TeeJet nozzles? I am looking at the Northern Tool models. Several friends have had issues with the Fimco units.

I would say not necessary nor advantageous especially when you're using a fine spray. If you want to spray it like a garden hose then go ahead but with a fine spray and a big pump you're only gonna build back pressure. I'd stick with the norm for what you are using it for. I can spray with wand quite aways with my 2.1 pump.

Is 5gpm necessary or even advantageous? 5 gpm will empty a 26 gallon tank in 5 minutes. That seems awful quick to get anything done. Or am I missing something. Are these compatible with TeeJet nozzles? I am looking at the Northern Tool models. Several friends have had issues with the Fimco units.

The Northern tool sprayer products may have good components. But I gotta wonder if they don't all pretty much use the same pumps and fittings and nozzles, etc. ?? If I remember (duh) I need to have a look at the Northern products next time I'm in their store. The good thing about Fimco is that I can buy replacement parts at most big box stores (TSC, Mills FF, etc). The bad thing about Fimco is.....that I NEED to buy replacement parts at the big box stores. ;)

My center nozzle is broken and I've got it wired wired and taped together. The replacement part is like $50. Geeez....that is expensive plastic.

Foggy, I have 4 plastic nozzles and 4 tips, they are yours , as they are hanging in my garage. Stu or Art has my email address.