Question on spraying gly..

ky1792

Buck Fawn
I just bush hogged today - is it ok to go ahead and spray tomorrow? I typically wait 7 days to spray but I'm late getting my food plots in and trying to finish up by next weekend.

Yes it will work fine! I have sprayed the next day after cutting the last two years and it works good!!

You would want as much plant tissue as possible for the Glyphosate to be taken into the plant. One of the worst Ideas would be to mow and then spray the next day, better to spray then mow a week later.

Can it still work? Yep, but why lesson your chances?

I just bush hogged today - is it ok to go ahead and spray tomorrow? I typically wait 7 days to spray but I'm late getting my food plots in and trying to finish up by next weekend.

Gly is absorbed through actively growing plants tissue. Young fast growing plants are more susceptible than older more fibrous tissue. So, the best way I have found is to mow and then wait about 2 weeks for new growth to begin and then to spray. Another method that works pretty well is to spray the field before you mow. Let it sit over night for the gly to be fully absorbed, and then mow it. Some plants will not get sprayed because they are protected from getting sprayed by other plants growing over them. So, you won't get everything. How much you kill depends on how tall and thick the field was when you spray. Again, wait about 2 weeks and then you can spot spray anything green that is left.

The other thing you did not mention is your planting technique. That can also dictate the best method for killing weeds. If you plan to till, that in itself will kill many weeds but also bring up more weed seed into the germination level of the soil. So, it is best to till first (mow only if your equipment can't handle tilling with the vegetation). Then you need to wait a couple weeks for the new weed seeds to germinate and gat a few inches tall. They will then be very susceptible to glyphosate.

For the throw and mow method, I do things a bit differently. I'll first spray the field and let it stand for a couple weeks. I then go back and spot spray any green areas. The next day, I broadcast the seed into the standing vegetation and then mow it so the dead vegetation forms a mulch holding moisture. Keep in mind that not all seeds work well with this method but many that we plant in the fall for deer do, and it is a great method for soil health.

Thanks,

Jack

For throw and mow plots I've spread seed, sprayed, and mowed the plots a few hours later. The plots were dead as could be from the gly application. I wasn't sure if it would work, but in my experience it did.

For throw and mow plots I've spread seed, sprayed, and mowed the plots a few hours later. The plots were dead as could be from the gly application. I wasn't sure if it would work, but in my experience it did.

That certainly can work depending on conditions, the stage of the plant, and its susceptibility to gly. Waiting until the next day helps with some more difficult weeds and conditions.

Thanks,

Jack

yeah, i really should have thought this through instead of getting in a rush and went with the throw, spray and mow. I guess I'll just go ahead and disc and skip the spraying for this year. Basically planting oats, AWP and clover... clover is annual blend and will follow that up in late July with buckwheat.

We did as Mo said in post #3. We sprayed, waited 2 or 3 days, then mowed. Dead-dead-dead. Clean plot.

Ky1792, you should have sprayed first then threw seed and mowed, but it can still work with adequate moisture.

I sprayed this area with a mixture of 2 oz per gallon and then mowed 2 weeks later. It killed everything and I only had to spot spray a few small areas. While it's getting a little late I'd think you still have time image.jpegimage.jpeg This is what it looks like now one week after disking, seeding and packing. There's already some germination. I put down a mixture of Rye, Oats, medium red and ladino clovers and GHFR. The way I understand it is the growing plant absorbed the Gly and it gave a great kill. I'm sure I could've mowed sooner but waiting two weeks let everything turn brown. that and a wet summer sure made disking easy too. I think I'd spray and get at least some degree of a kill before I hit it with a disc if you're going that route.

Last edited:
I feel that is really depends on what you are spraying. For example Young grasses, I spray, seed, and dont bother mowing. Grasses and shrubs mixed, i like to mow, wait a week is best, then spray. But for tough shrubs, small trees I like to bushhog then immediately spray. Those cut stems soak up gly fast just like tordon on a stump and gets a better kill for me then waiting on leaves to absorb and kill whole plant. Depending on how much stubble is left I will then seed and mow over to get my thatch layer.

If I used straight glyphosate by the gallon where I live the only thing it would kill is grass. Most other weeds would just smile and act like you gave them a healthy dose of fertilizer.

I cut a healthy field of johnson grass Sunday and then immediately sprayed gly all over it. I did up my surfactant though.

If I used straight glyphosate by the gallon where I live the only thing it would kill is grass. Most other weeds would just smile and act like you gave them a healthy dose of fertilizer.

Straight gly will kill a mature tree, 50/50 water & gly mix will kill trees, & shrubs by top coating cut stumps, a 20-30% solution of gly will kill most woody plants ... I doubt your herbaceous weeds last.

I know it is best to wait a little after cutting. But for some that may be in the same situation as me where my farm is hours away and time is limited. I can assure you that you can cut it and spray it the next day and it will kill everything dried up dead! Just saying. But if you do have the time it is best to wait for the plants to start growing.

Straight gly will kill a mature tree, 50/50 water & gly mix will kill trees, & shrubs by top coating cut stumps, a 20-30% solution of gly will kill most woody plants ... I doubt your herbaceous weeds last.

Apparently you have never seen glyphosate resistant giant ragweed, waterhemp, palmer armaranth, koochia, marestail, etc. Glyphosate has zero effect on ragweed or waterhemp where I live. You should see some of the other fields around here. This one they gave up after the third pass.

DSCN1052.JPG