All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about clover planted in corn

I had great corn this year but every thing did good do to timely rain and qaunity versus past 2 years. (150 bushel per acre plus). I have soil tested Dairyland Labs Arcadia WI
my credit for legumes prior year N was 70 lbs per acre. I still put down 150 lbs UREA as I plant heavy 24" rows 6" spacing. The pic below is end of growing season and field deer in will be tilled and planted corn in spring again. I tried planting corn and clover at same time 5 years ago was highly stunted. This property in pics Chippewa County on sandy soil timely rain fall plays a big part on success. I also have property in Trempealeau with much better soil and does great.

2014-09-17 19-06-00 T.JPG

Just curious on if you suppressed the clover before planting into it? If you did was it through tillage or spray?

No I just till under what you see in field 1 pass. It will be all pushed down and low in spring. After tilling clover roots and plants just take off and go again but are slowed up enough not to affect corn during early stages. I do till after rain or when soil is good and damp. I also did hit with round up before 4th July to suppress weeds.

Just checked this thread again. Thanks Whip for the Google heading above. I'll jump on it.

Edit : As soon as I posted this, the info from Fall Guy appeared. Thanks Fall Guy for the info.

Last edited:
No I just till under what you see in field 1 pass. It will be all pushed down and low in spring. After tilling clover roots and plants just take off and go again but are slowed up enough not to affect corn during early stages. I do till after rain or when soil is good and damp. I also did hit with round up before 4th July to suppress weeds.
So you actually suppress the clover twice during that growing season, once through tillage and later through spraying.

Not sure this will add much to the conversation, but when I have a perennial clover plot finally get to the point of time to start over I love to convert it to a RR corn plot for 2 years. I nuke the clover and till it under and some still remains, but will plant the corn and then control weeds with gly. This helps reduce the weeds which typically caused the clover to need redone any way and the corn loves the N stored in the ground from the previous clover. I like to do this for 2 years in a row if I can to really try to reduce the weed seed. Obviously the first year corn does really well with minimal N added , but the second year needs some help. I can also see where converting a poor clover plot into a fall annual plot would help and the cereal grains and brassica would love the available N in the soil as well. I may dabble with adding clover to my corn plots this year.

Quote: (So you actually suppress the clover twice during that growing season, once through tillage and later through spraying.)

YES
The tilling under is my main suppression. Some areas I just cut sprayer off if weeds light. Once corn gets so high not and issue. Past year might have spayed 50 %. maybe do to fact I rotate every year between RR corn & pasture mix (canola, turnips & chicory with four types clovers & alfalfa).

I like to put this mix in early spring and get a jump on weeds then I am done for year with planting. Works good my area and soil type keeps deer coming all summer and hunting season for me.

My maintenance is one mowing around 4th July never needing to spray.

Thanks Fall Guy, for the pix and info. That corn with clover in it looks like a good 2-fer plot. If you wanted to disc and plow everything down to start over, the clover would up the N in the soil besides the corn stubble adding O.M. to it as well. Good stuff !!