Question about chemical burn-downs

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Are there any suitable chemicals to wipe out weeds and grass other than gly ?? Some of our members of camp are getting nervous about using gly now that all the reports are out concerning cancer risk with it. I know clethodim kills grass, but what other things kill weeds without a ( long ) residual soil effect ?? We'd like to spray some plots, burn down the weeds, and then seed with new seed mixtures - ( not the same day !! ) Some plots we would like to seed 2 or 3 weeks after spraying - other plots it may be a month or 2 after spraying.

I'm interested to hear from all guys with actual experience with chemical burn-downs.

24d and dicamba are the other famous ones! Best to narrow down your problem weeds and just be wary of your intended crops and soil residual durations.

Wear gloves, wear a mask, and don’t spray into the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since round up resistance hit my place I’ve been using glufosinate “liberty 280 SL”.
But once your members see the price they will like gly again!

I've worked in the ag chemical business, and I would always say to keep an open mind about the potential health impacts of any manufactured chemical. So it should be with glyphosate. I've been very interested in reading as much scientific literate about it as I've, casually, been able to find. It takes a special kind of idiot to enjoy and understand it. Handled properly I doubt the claims that are being made against glyphosate...but we've been using it a long time. The build-up may be worth watching although I've never ready about the possibility of such a thing. I''m going to keep using it.

So, one of the alternatives is desiccants. Unlike glyphosate which is absorbed into the plant and flows around the plant's circulatory system slowly plugging it up, desiccants work on contact by dissolving a plants cell walls. The moisture dries up and the top of the plant dies. The roots still there. Summer annuals at the end of their life cycle will not regenerate, but if you hit them early in the spring, at the beginning of growth, they likely will re-sprout. Diquat and Gramoxone are two names that come to mind - and they require more care in their use than glyphosate. I think you probably have to have a restricted use permit to buy Gramoxone, or you did when I was a pup. Monsanto put diquat in the lawn and garden variety of RoundUp to make the plants brown much earlier than the glyphosate would kill because homeowners wanted to spray today and see brown tomorrow.

I dunno. If glyphosate frightens then, maybe all ag chemicals should do the same? I'm not trying to stir the pot, but, again, we should be cautious regardless of what label is on the jug.

Monsanto put diquat in the lawn and garden variety of RoundUp to make the plants brown much earlier than the glyphosate would kill because homeowners wanted to spray today and see brown tomorrow.

Very interesting. I did not know that. I wondered how they were able to make such claims when I would spray a food plot and it would stay nice and green for several days.

Very interesting. I did not know that. I wondered how they were able to make such claims when I would spray a food plot and it would stay nice and green for several days.
diquat.jpg

On another thread, I was told to use 2-4DB ……. not 2-4D. I forget who said it, but that gent said 2-4D would kill the clover. That's an important point !!!

I'll be sure to read all labels.