QDMA is to be no more.....

What I do miss the most of that old forum is just how broad the expertise was. Most of that is captured here, which is an amazing feat, but there are some guys that went different ways. Some even just disappeared from habitat forums altogether.

I’ve never been afraid to share where to find the largest selection of lickcreek’s or doubletree’s... ultimately Paul Knox’s posts. They are on Outreach outdoors forum.
http://forum.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/

also don’t care if anyone posts a link to another habitat forum right here. I’m to old to be in a competition ;)

I too miss the guys that disappeared. I also miss some of the guys I pissed off. I can think of two off hand. One is now a mod on another forum and I hope his farm is burning with deer and poplar trees. The other taught me a lot and had a hard run. A really really bad run! I miss the “idiot”. Inside joke there that he won’t ever see..

As much as I’m disappointed in QDMA and where ever they are headed. I’m glad for what they started out to be because they brought us here.

I’ve never been afraid to share where to find the largest selection of lickcreek’s or doubletree’s... ultimately Paul Knox’s posts. They are on Outreach outdoors forum.
http://forum.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/

also don’t care if anyone posts a link to another habitat forum right here. I’m to old to be in a competition ;)

I too miss the guys that disappeared. I also miss some of the guys I pissed off. I can think of two off hand. One is now a mod on another forum and I hope his farm is burning with deer and poplar trees. The other thought me a lot and had a hard run. A really really bad run! I miss the “idiot”. Inside joke there that he won’t ever see..

As much as I’m disappointed in QDMA and where ever they are headed. I’m glad for what they started out to be because they brought us here.

I miss those colorful characters who were quick to call Bulls*** on trendy fads and even quicker to say "Kiss my A**!"
They shared more habitat knowledge/experience in a single post than an entire issue of a glossy mag

bill

Do you have an archive of memes and you scroll through to pick one that fits or does a specific one come to you. Your meme placement is always spot on.
Thanks to google, every funny moment ever on screen has been turned into a meme. I get the idea and then go googlin for it. Humor is about the only way to illustrate the absurd anymore.

To somewhat turn this back to the OP- not sure if anyone has listened to the guys making the rounds on the podcasts, but Nick P from NDA was on the NFC w/ Dan Johnson. Kip,Lindsey & Nick were all on Wired To Hunt with Mark Kenyon.

I personally found Nicks solo interview to be more informative- Apparently he was the top or one of the top picks to replace Murphy as CEO. He talked a good game about “trimming the fat” & hinted at possibility closing or altering the HQ complex.. Stated he wants to go lean.

Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To somewhat turn this back to the OP- not sure if anyone has listened to the guys making the rounds on the podcasts, but Nick P from NDA was on the NFC w/ Dan Johnson. Kip,Lindsey & Nick were all on Wired To Hunt with Mark Kenyon.

I personally found Nicks solo interview to be more informative- Apparently he was the top or one of the top picks to replace Murphy as CEO. He talked a good game about “trimming the fat” & hinted at possibility closing or altering the HQ complex.. Stated he wants to go lean.

Time will tell.

This forum IS QDMA lean!

QDMA started out as a great mission oriented organization. As they grew, and big money got involved, they changed. Sure, they do fund a few mission oriented projects each year, but they are more focused on funding than mission. That is what killed the forum. Folks can do without the glossy magazine. Lean to QDMA seems to mean seems to mean looking less opulent as an organization buy doing things like having a less fancy headquarters.

A true mission oriented organization focuses on maximizing the total amount of money spent on the mission and focuses on how efficiently that money is spent. I'm not talking about the money they collect and directly control, but all of the money. So, when they allow the organization to be used to market products, (seed for an example) that contributes no more to QDM than the same kind of seed from the local coop, but puts profits into the pockets of their sponsors and brings more money into QDMA. Folks on the old QDMA forum were calling BS on a lot of this and it was having an impact on sponsors bottom lines. So, they killed the forum to control the message.

If the new "lean" QDMA, by whatever name, means they will prioritize providing cost efficient information and techniques over shilling for the hunting and food plot industry, I'm all for it. I've seen or heard nothing that makes me believe they will change from a "control the message" approach.

I've learned much more on this form and Deer Hunter Forum (although I don't have time to post over there), and the now defunct QDMA forum, than I ever did from the QDMA glossy magazine. It is pretty hard to hock an ineffective product here as everything said is open to public challenge. It is folks with common interest who are experienced learning from each other and helping those who are less experienced.

Thanks to those who fund the operation of this forum (without advertisements I might add) and those who volunteer their time to administer and moderate it!

Thanks,

Jack

Time will tell.

This forum IS QDMA lean!

QDMA started out as a great mission oriented organization. As they grew, and big money got involved, they changed. Sure, they do fund a few mission oriented projects each year, but they are more focused on funding than mission. That is what killed the forum. Folks can do without the glossy magazine. Lean to QDMA seems to mean seems to mean looking less opulent as an organization buy doing things like having a less fancy headquarters.

A true mission oriented organization focuses on maximizing the total amount of money spent on the mission and focuses on how efficiently that money is spent. I'm not talking about the money they collect and directly control, but all of the money. So, when they allow the organization to be used to market products, (seed for an example) that contributes no more to QDM than the same kind of seed from the local coop, but puts profits into the pockets of their sponsors and brings more money into QDMA. Folks on the old QDMA forum were calling BS on a lot of this and it was having an impact on sponsors bottom lines. So, they killed the forum to control the message.

If the new "lean" QDMA, by whatever name, means they will prioritize providing cost efficient information and techniques over shilling for the hunting and food plot industry, I'm all for it. I've seen or heard nothing that makes me believe they will change from a "control the message" approach.

I've learned much more on this form and Deer Hunter Forum (although I don't have time to post over there), and the now defunct QDMA forum, than I ever did from the QDMA glossy magazine. It is pretty hard to hock an ineffective product here as everything said is open to public challenge. It is folks with common interest who are experienced learning from each other and helping those who are less experienced.

Thanks to those who fund the operation of this forum (without advertisements I might add) and those who volunteer their time to administer and moderate it!

Thanks,

Jack

I definitely agree- I had been signed up on the old forum for about a month & was learning a lot when they shut it down. Will they go the route NRA has gone/is going, with the folks jumping ship over the salary misuse & top heavy salary structuring? We’ll see.

My concern is, who is out there working legislation & trying to protect the resource? I would love to see Habitat Talk or Deer Hunting Forum out on the front lines, but sadly the forums do not have the “star power” & brand recognition that some of the national groups do. Not saying that the members of these forums are not active on their own.

On the 2A/gunrights side, there are a couple groups that are trying to fill the void from NRA.. who do we have on the hunting/whitetail side? That’s a serious thought I had earlier today listening to both of these podcasts..

My concern is, who is out there working legislation & trying to protect the resource?

Are we sure we want to take the lid off this again?

I definitely agree- I had been signed up on the old forum for about a month & was learning a lot when they shut it down. Will they go the route NRA has gone/is going, with the folks jumping ship over the salary misuse & top heavy salary structuring? We’ll see.

My concern is, who is out there working legislation & trying to protect the resource? I would love to see Habitat Talk or Deer Hunting Forum out on the front lines, but sadly the forums do not have the “star power” & brand recognition that some of the national groups do. Not saying that the members of these forums are not active on their own.

On the 2A/gunrights side, there are a couple groups that are trying to fill the void from NRA.. who do we have on the hunting/whitetail side? That’s a serious thought I had earlier today listening to both of these podcasts..

You don't need a species specific group for that. Years ago when I was setting up a suburban archery group, I worked with a guy by the name of Jay McAninch. As I recall, he was with the archery trade group at the time but he later when to to work for the Congressional Sportsman's Foundation: http://congressionalsportsmen.org/. Game laws and regulations are at the state level. There are other groups like this as well, this just happens to be one I'm more familiar with. These groups are focused specifically at legislation. The issues at the national level from a legislation perspective are not species specific and is better to focus our support in this direction rather than dilute it.

Having said all this, I'm not saying organizations like the original QDMA don't have a place; they do. QDMA has done a lot of good over they years, they just lost their way. Hopefully they will regain their compass, but I'm not holding my breath. To me, on the surface, it seems like they are just trying to acquire a bigger mailing list.

Thanks,

Jack

This forum IS QDMA lean!

Thanks,

Jack

Jack ... I think you need to reset your compass ... this place is nowhere near QDMA lean.

That ship sailed, not sure why you are holding on to a sinking vessel.

The QDMA forum was something that honestly changed my life. It allowed me to take the next step as a deer hunter. Provided way more honest truth on the ins and outs of food plots and deer hunting that anything else that was available. It was an extremely sad day when sportsman’s lost that place.

this place ain’t so bad though. :emoji_wink:

QDMA reminds me of the old NWTF. When Keck and company left. I should say Keck left when two were released.

Technology probably helped kill QDMA, first off they ended the forum which didn't help. They also had to be impacted by the websites, podcasts, YouTube clips etc...that often countered many of their so-called theories. You can find a ton of information on various topics, now without paying them dues.

The biggest thing the QDMA forum and other forums have done for me is give me the support I needed to "up my game" from a habitat perspective. They demonstrated real, dirt on your hands, experiences AND show that it's OK to fail! We don't like to...but it happens....we learn from it...we move on. Between swapping stories, getting different ideas and sometimes even seeds and cuttings.....a forum community can be a very powerful thing if you allow it to be. The QDMA forum started that for me....and even though they tossed it away, many members here and in a few other places maintain a strong sense of community that started with the old "Q" forum. Turns out the things that connected us...wasn't the "Q".....it was the habitat work. Proving every day..... that counter to the QDMA message.....you can practice QDM....and leave the A behind!