All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pruning percentage - important

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I am pruning 7 or 8 of my original apple trees. They are 11 years old. Last year frost and perhaps over production from prior year resulted in no fruit. Having fertilized in March and good moisture all year I now have a gazillion water sprouts . I know you are not suppose to take off more than 25% of the wood in one year. If I take out all the wAter sprouts and any general pruning I will be over 25%. What should I do?

Everything I've seen says 33%. Always take off all water sprouts. I've also read where some will take water sprouts during late summer. I wouldn't worry too much. Cut what you want.

Well I THINK you are both right, but I have been battling water sprouts on these trees for what feels like a lifetime! I did not know crap about pruning, training or growing when these went in the ground 11 years ago. I have cut water sprouts in the summer, but am really wondering if by cutting sooooo many WS at one time if I am questioning if I am spurring too much growth by removing so many at one time.

Fruit trees are all about balance, Thoughts cut fertility some esp. nitrogen , summer prune about first week aug. and leave some water sprouts and see what the tree tells you the next year . Sounds like the tree has excess vigor that's why the water sprouts and all varieties are different some more easily managed some more challenging

Stop fertilizing., which causes vegitative growth. An 11 year old tree shoud have a well established frame. Starve the tree; you will get less vegetative growth, more fruit buds and better tasting apples.

Stop fertilizing., which causes vegitative growth. An 11 year old tree shoud have a well established frame. Starve the tree; you will get less vegetative growth, more fruit buds and better tasting apples.

I am going with this and the post regarding balance. Nice buck in that photo too! Thanks.

I wouldn't necessarily attribute Pruining to no apples based on last years weather conditions. I did very little pruning last year and most of my trees had no apples. I believe last year was a weather issue depending where you live

I agree the pruning did not cause the absence of apples last year. Mine was certainly due to weather and some biannual production issues.