Pruning/grafting question #1

sandbur

5 year old buck +
What are the giudelines for removing the nurse limb?

Does the scion need to grow more to match the size of the base before removal?
IMG_8434 2.jpg
Is this the right time of year to remove the nurse limb?

If the scion looks healthy, remove the nurse limb before bud break. It has done its job and is now just robbing nutrients and water from your scion. Nurse limbs only serve to keep the system operating until the scion takes hold.

I think you would want to take that limb out art, as with its size it will really take away all the energy that could be going to your graft

If the scion looks healthy, remove the nurse limb before bud break. It has done its job and is now just robbing nutrients and water from your scion. Nurse limbs only serve to keep the system operating until the scion takes hold.
Have you removed some nurse limbs during the first growign season
I think you would want to take that limb out art, as with its size it will really take away all the energy that could be going to your graft

It will be coming off today. The limb even fruited, which took energy from the graft, but I learned the fruit was too small and not worth saving.

Have you removed some nurse limbs during the first growign season

It will be coming off today. The limb even fruited, which took energy from the graft, but I learned the fruit was too small and not worth saving.
Sorry, the fruiting limb was on one of the other posts.

I wouldnt be in a hurry to take it off that first growing season. Would probably depend on the vigor of the scion.