All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PROTECTION: Rock Inside Hardware Cloth or Screen?

JAW

Yearling... With promise
I’m new to planting fruit trees. I planted my first apple and crabapple trees — all from NWC — in late April in Zone 4a (Minnesota). I used 5’ welded wire to keep the deer away and used hardware cloth to keep voles/rabbits away. The hardware cloth is 6-7” in diameter. I’ve read a lot lately about using pea gravel or crushed limestone around apple trees in order to keep small critters away, especially in winter. I know such rock is put around (OUTSIDE) hardware cloth or screening, but I’m wondering if anyone recommends putting rock INSIDE the hardware cloth or screening, as long as the rock is not touching the actual tree trunk. Thoughts?

It sounds like you're doing a great job of protecting your trees now.

I don't use pea-stone myself, but my guess is that you don't need to put it inside the hardware cloth since the purpose of using it is to protect the trunk against rodents. If the rodent happens to get inside your hardware cloth, the stone is not going to protect your tree.

I thought the purpose of using pea-stone inside the welded wire was to hold down weed-matting. I could be mistaken about this... so I hope someone can add to my response and let both of know if using pea-stone is helpful by itself, or if it's sole purpose is to hold weed-matting in place.

I would staple tight to the trunk on top and tight to the rootstock on the bottom. Leave some extra window screen stapled together for growth.

Get that window screen low enough to be covered by dirt and not exposed if the tree sways in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The explanation given to me about using crushed limestone - which is what I use - involves 2 purposes. 1 - It holds down the landscape cloth. 2 - The sharp, jagged edges of crushed limestone chips are painful for any critter trying to tunnel into it, through it, under it. And they ARE sharp!! Also it caves in on any mouse or vole trying to tunnel.

We've been covering our landscape cloths with about 3" to 4" of crushed limestone chips when we plant the trees. 3' x 3' square of landscape cloth - 3' x 3' of limestone chips 3" to 4" deep. The aluminum window screen is put in place BEFORE the chips go down, so the chips act like a protective "moat" around the screen. More or less like a sharp, jagged "mine field."

Since using this method - beginning in 2013 - we haven't had any chewing by mice or voles on any of our trees. This is NOT my idea - I learned it from others.

I am finding that voles will readily tunnel into pea gravel. I am going add something different before fall. I will also be adding quite a few bait stations. Killing all the voles seems like a viable solution.

I carry my wolverine tree spade and a tub of TomKat rodent bars in the back of my Mule

I then hit every fresh mound in the orchard

Cheap,East Texas rig that seems to work

I also screen and cage as described by others above

bill

hardscape mulch like pea gravel or limestone chips can be placed immediately adjacent to the trunk of a small tree - still use a wire barrier - with little concern for injury to the tree. ANY mulch product that will hold moisture should be kept 2-3 inches away from the trunk. Since stone will dry quickly, without harming the tree, I frequently run stone up against the trunk before placing a barrier (hardware cloth) around the trunk. Remember, any mulch that holds moisture should be kept away from the trunk.