Protecting shrub seedlings

Awesome to know, I plan on adding some this coming spring. You all are saving me time and labor. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:
Does anyone have a reliable source of bare root seedlings for the chickisaw plum?

I have not tubed or caged ROD. But I should have tried. I have tried to hide most of it I planted over the years and almost all of it has been destroyed by deer browsing.
I have been toying with ways to produce durable ROD regen for a number of years now. What I've found most promising so far is the concept of protected seed bushes in areas where there is lots of open ground, and lots of brush piles to attract tweety birds to poop out the ROD seeds they pull from the cage. But there needs to be lots of open space and the right perches to attract those birds.

What's seemed to come on the fastest is ROD plugs. I ordered 60 of them, and planted them 20 each in a single hole. They're looking good. This has been going for 4 growing seasons now.

rod 1.PNG

rod 2.PNG

Rod.PNG

Nativ (Mossy Oak) is a great resource, but they are hit and miss with plum varieties.

I have a lot of silky dogwood and ninebark doing great. I put them in 2’tubes for the first year then a 3’ cage for year two and beyond. After three Years they can fend for themselves and I rotate the tubes and cages to new plantings.

Kansas forestry also sells it,I have never had to water them after planting as they are very drought tolerant

Does anyone have a reliable source of bare root seedlings for the chickisaw plum?

Kansas State forestry is where i got mine

I am well pleased

bill

Here are a couple rows of dogwood and ninebark I started with method above. These have been in ground 4 years. I also have some apple trees mixed in.
4aac48b4de7eca32dc17cc0b45ca1c1c.jpg
11eae2bde693d8a949f37384a92b0b98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk