Protecting shrub seedlings

hilltopper

5 year old buck +
I live in an area that has had high deer densities since the late 60's. Alder and Ilex (winter berry) are virtually the sole surviving shrub species on my farm. The odd grey and red osier dogwoods survive here and there. I want to start planting native shrubs (dogwoods, ninebark, highbush cranberry, service berry and similar) but I think better to plant 25 that are well protected from browsing than 500 that aren't. I've found a fair amount of discussion on tubes, cages etc but mostly with regard to trees. What is the best method for protecting shrubs from high browsing pressure? And yes, we shoot does. I've even considered exclusionary fences of say 10X20 yards with a variety of shrubs in each one but that would be unsightly and expensive.

I am currently trying to thicken up a few areas between bedding areas and food sources using native shrubs. The native shrubs I am using are wild plumbs and arrowwood viburnums. I know that it depends on the shrub, but for at least these two, I've found it best to use tree tubes for individual plants. I have 5 foot tubes currently and they seem to be working for both. When the plants get to the tops of the tubes and are woody enough, I just take the tube off and use it for the 2nd or 3rd year planting for the area.

We attempted to use 5-7 foot deer fencing with T-posts arranged in a 20 x 5 foot areas to help get more shrubs planted. It was a nightmare keeping the area clean of weeds and vines.

I have done several enclosures with T posts and 4’ field fence along with weed mats and this has allowed for good protected growth and is more efficient than individual cages. These stay up for 3 years while the shrubs get established, and now I’m planning to move them so they can protect the newer plantings. Have never messed with tubes and will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted 50 Elderberry bushes at the house last summer and used doubled-up tree tubes. Worked great!
I plan to use this method for apples and pears next year.

I am currently trying to thicken up a few areas between bedding areas and food sources using native shrubs. The native shrubs I am using are wild plumbs and arrowwood viburnums. I know that it depends on the shrub, but for at least these two, I've found it best to use tree tubes for individual plants. I have 5 foot tubes currently and they seem to be working for both. When the plants get to the tops of the tubes and are woody enough, I just take the tube off and use it for the 2nd or 3rd year planting for the area.

We attempted to use 5-7 foot deer fencing with T-posts arranged in a 20 x 5 foot areas to help get more shrubs planted. It was a nightmare keeping the area clean of weeds and vines.

Hey if you want some of these https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=16201&itemnum=17018#
let me know. I have several boxes in the old barn. Don't want to ship them but you could run up sometime and grab them. The deer eat what pokes out but the central leader gets protected.

I'm shifting to cutting trees down not planting them. and using cages for the few fruit trees I plant.

I think I have a boat load of the bamboo stakes to hold them up also.

Your plan to go with 25 protected seedlings verses 500 unprotected is spot on. I have done it both ways and you end up much further ahead with fewer that you protect.

Hey if you want some of these https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=16201&itemnum=17018#
let me know. I have several boxes in the old barn. Don't want to ship them but you could run up sometime and grab them. The deer eat what pokes out but the central leader gets protected.

I'm shifting to cutting trees down not planting them. and using cages for the few fruit trees I plant.

I think I have a boat load of the bamboo stakes to hold them up also.
Thanks Bill! Let me know what you would like for them and when you will be back down at the farm and we can arrange a pickup.

Thanks Bill! Let me know what you would like for them and when you will be back down at the farm and we can arrange a pickup.

Free to a good home. There may be a mouse nest or two in the boxes :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll get with you before spring. If I forget remind me. Real they are just sitting there and have been for a few years.

I second the "quality over quantity" approach. A 5' T post and 10' section of 4' tall rabbit proof (smaller at the bottom) mesh fence keeps mine looking great. Courtesy of Menards..

I don't spray, just dump a half a bag of cedar mulch for weed suppression and moisture insurance. Working great so far for this ninebark and Elderberry, doing well within the perennial sunflower edge.. No comments on my hack fence job :emoji_slight_smile:

AA NINE.jpg

AA EL.jpg

Attachments

• AA EL.jpg
    AA EL.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 19
Free to a good home. There may be a mouse nest or two in the boxes :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll get with you before spring. If I forget remind me. Real they are just sitting there and have been for a few years.
Sounds great! Thanks again, Bill!

I found a pic from this spring. I went a little light on the weed matting and got a lot of giant ragweed, but it protected everything from the critters

4d85635d35d80ef06b5db2dff22f1136.jpg

b8a82d03ae09b3758fdec16f2a1fa1dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have Chickasaw plum, American plum, hazelnut, and elderberry in 5' tubes right now. Planted mmaybe 50 total 2 springs ago. Both varieties of plum blew up and most were at top of tube after first year. These were bare root seedlings. I have several Chickasaw plum that are easily 8 feet tall after 2 years. I haven't pruned the tubed shrubs for a central leader like I do trees. I don't think that they would like that so much but I don't know. The tubes fill up fast with shrubs and all the limbs. I used the widest tubes I had to begin with. The hazelnut and elderberry hasn't flourished as well but they are always slower starting for me when compared to plums. I am not sure how the tubes will work with them longterm as they branch and spread out so much. Thus the experiment. Double tubing is something I never considered. I have caged these varieties too and personally think the elderberry and hazelnut will develop better in cages - except for the 5 cages the rabbits got through and clipped every stem to the ground! But the plums are doing great in tubes.

What has been people's success with red hosier dogwood in tubes? Or are cages with screens better?

I have not tubed or caged ROD. But I should have tried. I have tried to hide most of it I planted over the years and almost all of it has been destroyed by deer browsing.

On a different note - and I am sure everyone's situation is different but I have seen very little browse pressure on hazelnut over the years. Plums and dogwoods have been a different story.

FWIW - I've planted serviceberry seedlings, high bush cranberry (actually a viburnum), ROD, and Washington hawthorn (nurseries list them as "deciduous shrubs" ) in cages with good results. No cages = no shrubs .......... here at least. Deer eat everything they can get their choppers on. I've had great success by protecting the things I / we plant at camp.

I planted a variety of shrubs in enclosures using 7 foot vinyl "deer" fencing from Home depot. I used tposts and pvc pipe zip tied to the t posts to extend the height. After one year, I would consider this method viable thus far. I have had to repair some sections but the fencing is cheap and easy to repair. I should have used some type of weed suppression around the seedlings but growth was decent amongst most shrubs. The shrubs I planted without protection have been hit or miss and I tried to plant them inside fallen trees when possible.

The chickisaw plum doesn't need tubed and it will spread through runners and fruit seed.I have planted thousands of these and deer will rub but doesn't hurt them.

Attachments

• chickisaw plums.jpg
    chickisaw plums.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 44
The chickisaw plum doesn't need tubed and it will spread through runners and fruit seed.I have planted thousands of these and deer will rub but doesn't hurt them.

I had similar results with this plum

I caged mine but agree that it probably wasnt necessary

bill

I had similar results with this plum

I caged mine but agree that it probably wasnt necessary

bill

Awesome to know, I plan on adding some this coming spring. You all are saving me time and labor. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue: