All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Process Yourself Or Take To Processor

About the pic of the Barracuda.

Whats wrong with it? Is something going right over my head?

No, nothing wrong. Just cool she helps with that stuff. Not too common in my circles that the mrs is willing to help with the cut up work. That's a sure sign of a keeper.

No, nothing wrong. Just cool she helps with that stuff. Not too common in my circles that the mrs is willing to help with the cut up work. That's a sure sign of a keeper.

Ok, I guess.

Thought maybe she had a nipple hanging out.....again!

LOL!

I see this thread took a turn hahaha

I like to do my own if I can. Got a nice commercial grinder an vacum sealer. I am bad about killing deer the evening before I have to go to work the following morning. In that case I will just go drop off at the processor an pay the $80

Mostly we do our own, but have had it done at a processor if time is prohibitive.

Do fish have nipples? Maybe I am in the wrong forum to ask? Is this a barracuda?

Safari 126.png

We get together at my buddies house and have a ball. We make a bunch of burger and sausage also and maybe even have a beer or two! Muzzle loader season starts this weekend , we normally fill the barn and then spend the next week processing them.DSC03531.JPG

I skin and debone all my deer and then take the meat to have it processed into sticks, summer sausage, polish dogs, jerky, etcc.. My kids arent a big fan of deer burger. Elk is different we would grind the entire thing into burger and be plenty happy.

Man, some of the prices you guys are quoting for a processor would make me think twice. $70 - $90. Around here processors are charging $50 - $60 and I thought that was high. . I only do a deer or 2 every year so the processor is a better option than investing in a lot of equipment. If I did more, I guess it would be worth doing my own.

I started out doing my own, then went the route of a processor when I didn't have an ideal set up for diy, then i had an ideal set up but didnt have the time so i kept going to the processor, this year the local processor upped the price to $80 for basic processing so i decided to go back to diy. It also helped that my good friend bought a property with a very ideal set up for processing. We just ground the front shoulders from buck last weekend.

Overall it has always depended on my available time and access to resources (place to easily hang a deer, freezer to store quarters until final processing, access to grinders, smokers, etc) Now i'm in the predicament of having access to the equipment and resources, but time isn't as available.

SD - did you have your mind in the gutter????

My wife is right there with me skinning, cutting and wrapping. There are times when she'll do most the cutting herself.

My wife has field dressed a deer before withmy help - she was curious. She is a liscensed nurse so the blood and guts don't bother her. The thing I didn't warn her about was the smell - oh that was pretty priceless. She was asking about the stomach and if we could tell what the deer had been eating. Of course I told her to just cut it open and see - as I took a step or two back! The guts where out of the deer at this point, but lets just say she wasn't ready for that wonderful smell of the rumen. That pretty much ended the curiosity!

That's funny stuff right there, I don't care who you are! Did you get slapped? I know I would have.:):p

Not slapped, but it was cold at home - if you know what I mean - for a few days. When mama aint happy aint nobody happy!

Amen, brother!

20140918_230531.jpg I usually processes one or two a year for myself, mabye more of a pride thing than anything else. Really enjoy doing it, especially when I dont have to rush. Shot two big does the same night in KS early muzzleloader season (mid September), this year. I'll NEVER do that agin, up till 4am gutting, dragging, skinning,&deboning @ 70degrees

Someday I hope to process myself ... also would like a walk in cooler to age the deer ... :)