Pretty cool alternative to tractors

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
I sold a log arch to a fellow up by Duluth yesterday who's using it with a team of draught horses. Seeing the three of them work together is a sight to behold. After 17 years, the horses are virtually on auto pilot as soon as they're geared up in the stalls and unhooked. They both went directly to where they needed to be next for being hooked up to the tie bar, and were very responsive out in the field. He didn't need to speak much, well under a talking voice at that, and a couple tugs was all the reign inputs I could see him make (mainly for turning). I used to do horsemanship at summer camp (that's where the hot girls were :D ) so I'm not a total stranger to the handling. These guys were cool to watch. I also got to ride around on the buggy and see some of his implements.

While he owns two good size tractors (one's a 70 horse and I didn't catch what the bigger one was), but said "every day I don't have to start a tractor is a good day." Seeing the horses in action, I can see why he feels that way. After talking a bit on the phone earlier in the week, I decided to volunteer to deliver the arch so I could see the farm and horses. It was well worth the trip!

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

Made it into Duluth just before the monsoon hit.

DSC006981.jpg

Great pics! When my kids were little my neighbor had working horses and would take the kids for rides on his horse cart and give hay rides. It's great to see a team work together.

Cool stuff! Was the guy near Mahtowa? About 10-12 years ago my uncles and dad fixed up an old threshing machine and we had a threshing day for a few years in a row. One of the years a guy came from Mahtowa with his horses to help haul the shocked oats to the thresher. It was fun to watch what he could do with the horses! Each year we only did 5 acres of oats for the threshing, I can't imagine how they did the thousands of acres back in the day!

Not too far from there actually. Could've been the same guy. :)

Brings back memories. I planted many acres of tobacco on a low to the ground team pulled setter. It was more advanced than pegging, but watch out when it came poopin and peeing time.:eek:

These guys didn't do any duty in the field. That's another thing that amazed me. As soon as they were back in the barn they let it fly. lol I'd much rather they not do that there, but I guess this team knew once they were back in it was time to relax and they unloaded. ;)

Draught horses certainly aren't the fastest method to farm, but for hauling logs around they sure look handy.

I sold a log arch to a fellow up by Duluth yesterday who's using it with a team of draught horses. Seeing the three of them work together is a sight to behold. After 17 years, the horses are virtually on auto pilot as soon as they're geared up in the stalls and unhooked. They both went directly to where they needed to be next for being hooked up to the tie bar, and were very responsive out in the field. He didn't need to speak much, well under a talking voice at that, and a couple tugs was all the reign inputs I could see him make (mainly for turning). I used to do horsemanship at summer camp (that's where the hot girls were :D ) so I'm not a total stranger to the handling. These guys were cool to watch. I also got to ride around on the buggy and see some of his implements.

While he owns two good size tractors (one's a 70 horse and I didn't catch what the bigger one was), but said "every day I don't have to start a tractor is a good day." Seeing the horses in action, I can see why he feels that way. After talking a bit on the phone earlier in the week, I decided to volunteer to deliver the arch so I could see the farm and horses. It was well worth the trip!

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

Made it into Duluth just before the monsoon hit.

DSC006981.jpg

I'm still laughing about "that is where the hot girls were, so I'm not a total stranger to the handling."

I did it three years. After that I had enough game I didn't need an "in" with the hotties. :) It was funny being a god amongst my pubescent buddies. I knew their names, where they were from, and the girls even talked to me at random around camp. Riding the horses was fun too. :D