Preferred or alternative weed mat type for caged and/or tubed trees

And sometimes wonder what chemicals and plastics were used in some of that old carpet

You're the first person to mention plastics going into the environment. I thought I was missing something, as all the landscape fabric I have seen is made of plastic, and basically comes apart over the years and is nearly impossible to completely remove. I am constantly finding shreds of plastic weedmats in the flower beds around the house from the previous owners. This has prevented me from using it long-term for anything.

I've used carpet before, and it became a mess of weeds and roots that was a bummer to remove. I have the same long-term concerns with plastic as I do with weed Mats. Wool carpet works well, but it can be difficult to find for free.

There can be issues with the fabric if u just cut it and use it as is.

It tends to fray heavily on the edges and essentially unravel. Have not had any of these problems since using a heat gun to melt the cut edges back shut.

In the SD alone the number of miles of landscape tree fabric laid is pretty staggering. Think in tens of semi trailer loads of rolls every year. Left to rot, although one could argue it really doesn't tend to break down.

My one roll, used for multiple projects looks about as good as the day I bought it.

And yeah I'd still argue they probably release fewer chemicals then say some of fire retardant stuff they were experimenting with 20 to 30 years ago on in home use products like carpet.

You may be right with the fire retardants. I figure it all ends up in the ground regardless of whats done with it

You may be right with the fire retardants. I figure it all ends up in the ground regardless of whats done with it

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think your reasoning is accurate. If you don't put the chemicals around your trees, the chemicals are very unlikely to end up in the ground around your trees.

No difference if they go on the ground around my trees or at the landfill, either way into the ground. I can assure you what ever minimal amounts of chemicals might be coming out of 3x3 foot pieces of carpet have 0 effect on the trees. And really the plastic in the weed barriers is probably just as harmful, or the chemicals leaching out of the paper and inks ( believe me I've spent half my life working in paper mills, if you knew half the shit thats in paper you'd never shoot another spitball in your life!)or whatever is put down. Whatever it is thats put down something not natural will leech out it.
If you're seriiusly worried about it, dont put anything down, and mow it once a week...