Mulching trees after weed mat

Brian662

5 year old buck +
When you guys mulch your trees or put down sticks and rotting wood, is it to keep moisture in or to keep the weed mat held down or both?

I'm about 2/3 done with my trees and shrubs for this year and all that's left is to put mulch on the weed mats and cage them (most vulnerable will be first).

Just curious what your experiences are from previous plantings. I'd prefer to get these plantings all set up and not have to come back and water them very frequently, if possible.

I would say a few different reasons. Keep moisture, and hold the mat down so it doesnt just blow up, but also to keep stuff from nesting, or burrowing under it and eating the roots, or trunk, like moles, and mice. If your mat is black, it will also keep the sun from heating up the black mat and cooking the seedlings.

Are you keeping the mulch away from the trunk of the shrub/tree to keep mice away from girdling the planting?
Some of these trees and shrubs will be wind rows in a tall grass CRP style field so I'm sure there will be a healthy mole/vole/mouse population out there.

Are you keeping the mulch away from the trunk of the shrub/tree to keep mice away from girdling the planting?
Some of these trees and shrubs will be wind rows in a tall grass CRP style field so I'm sure there will be a healthy mole/vole/mouse population out there.
That is the idea, but I will admit, I dont spend a lot of time brushing the mulch away from the trunk, I probably should though. If possible, mow directly around the trees to allow predators to hunt them.

You put a weed mat down to smoother and kill all the grass and weed competition so your tree roots can get established. You put the mulch on top of the mat to speed up smothering and to protect the fabric from breaking down in the sunlight. The "mulch" also helps the soil around your tree retain moisture and stay cool in the hot summer months. The mulch and the mat eliminate all need for watering on smaller plantings unless its D3 drought like we had last year. If we keep getting decent rains this year I have no plans to water 1-2 gallon pots. They should be fine on their own, especially by year 2.

I like crushed stone.