Pre mixed seed question

seadonist

5 year old buck +
My local ag store is selling a quad mix seed package of WW, WR, Oates and clover. They come in 50 lb sacks and I'm assuming that the bag comes with all 4 seed varieties mixed together. My concern is that the sizes of the seeds will vary, which could be problematic for proper seed rates, i.e clover seeds are much smaller than WR seeds so I could dump a lot of clover before WR when seeding. I know I could buy each type of seed individually and seed individually but am I over thinking this? Should I not worry about uneven seed distribution and get the pre mix or should I purchase seeds individually and broadcast them accordingly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct in that the smaller seed willl work thru the larger seed and potentially not come out evenly. If your spreading with a small handheld spreader you can use smaller quantities and refill more often to off set this. If your using a larger spreader then there isn't much you can do except turn the rate down and make several passes in an effort to get a more even distribution.

10-4. I will be using an Earthway handheld spreader so I think I'll take your advise and turn down the spread rate and just make more passes. I would like as even of a distribution as possible. Thanks for the tip

Broadcasting premixed seed will not result in the same even distribution of seed that broadcasting them individually will. With most of what we plant, if you keep the hopper stirred up well so the denser seeds does not settle a the bottom, it is generally "good enough" for a food plot. It is trading off extra work for a more even distribution of seed.

Thanks,

Jack

Broadcasting premixed seed will not result in the same even distribution of seed that broadcasting them individually will. With most of what we plant, if you keep the hopper stirred up well so the denser seeds does not settle a the bottom, it is generally "good enough" for a food plot. It is trading off extra work for a more even distribution of seed.

Thanks,

Jack

I think the time saved with the pre-mix may be more valuable than the more evenly distribution of a separately seeded plot. Time is in short supply here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your concerns are legit, but it is a food plot, so it really doesnt matter much. Deer won't care if it isn't distributed evenly at all.

Last edited: