Buying New Seed Mixes & Rye - WHEN to buy?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
Curious when most folks buy their seeds. I got about ten acres of seeds to buy each year: brassica's, collards, winter rye and ?? I have been buying mixed seeds from Green Cover Seeds....but the freight is a bit much. I often see "sold out" or shortages as the year wears on. Just planning for next year....and wonder when other's buy these seeds?? Biggest cost for me is finding a good deal on clean rye seed for fall....as I buy about 1000 + lbs. The rest can be economically shipped.

This year I will try to buy a WR variety from LaCrosse or from Albert Lea Seed. I suppose I should call them.

Me being a cheap ass. I scour stores for winter seed sales. It's BOB stuff but I've gotten some of the better stuff for cheap. Tractor supply, walmart. Anything I can't find I just buy from the local seed store whenever I plant.

I usually buy them just before I plant them i.e. in March and July, but I probably don't get the best deals. I have pretty specific plans done well ahead of time (I worked on several this week) for all the fields I plan to plant and a few that I might possibly plant, so I usually just place online orders and they get delivered pretty quick.

My plans went sideways enough this year that I have about 1/2 the seed I next year in my leftovers.. Rye usually just from the local co-op or farm service store in town in late summer when they get it in stock.

My farmer buddy who plants 10's of thousands of acres laughed at what I pay for seed so I might just have to drive out to ND and have him fill me up with his spilled waste cover crop seed one of these years..

Last edited:
How well extablished is your winter rye areas. Maybe buy from local feed mill. 1st year doing that, we shall see how it does next year. Going up norrth this weekend, so checking the plots there.

MY seed came in today, although I plant maybe 3-5 acres of food plots, and more basic as time goes on. Grains n clover mostly. Need to redo about 1/2 my plots this year. Doing the usual 3 year rotation, even more so because some have never been sprayed and have some summer weed problems. Bought a few bags of local harvested wheat, like $10 a bag.

Generally, I aim to buy all mine before farmers know if they're gonna need any. Get it before prevent plant is known in the spring, and get it before crops come off in the summer/early fall. Most everything I'm planting this year is getting planted as soon as I start seeing ground through the snow in spring, and I'll aim to pick it all up and haul it to camp and plant all in the same week. If my seed doesn't land in some snow, i'll consider myself late.

I went ahead and bought my summer plots bc they were on sale for about a third of what I normally pay.

Curious when most folks buy their seeds. I got about ten acres of seeds to buy each year: brassica's, collards, winter rye and ?? I have been buying mixed seeds from Green Cover Seeds....but the freight is a bit much. I often see "sold out" or shortages as the year wears on. Just planning for next year....and wonder when other's buy these seeds?? Biggest cost for me is finding a good deal on clean rye seed for fall....as I buy about 1000 + lbs. The rest can be economically shipped.

This year I will try to buy a WR variety from LaCrosse or from Albert Lea Seed. I suppose I should call them.

I buy common seed like cereal grain at the local coop. With all the cover crop incentives for farmers, WR has been harder to get and going up in price. I like to plant some of my mixes (mix my own) before the current year's WR is available at the coop. I'll typically talk to the manger and get any leftover seed after fall planting season at a deep discount. I'll use that to start my plant in the fall. The new seed will become available while I'm planting in the fall and I'll buy fresh seed. Germination rates are not much different with WR.

I buy my summer seed, buckwheat and Sunn Hemp, through the coop. There are some seeds that I can get a better deal on ordering from Welter so I use them. I'll occasionally buy seed from Hancock if they have a sale on something I need and the coop would need to order it anyway.

Thanks,

Jack

Generally, I aim to buy all mine before farmers know if they're gonna need any. Get it before prevent plant is known in the spring, and get it before crops come off in the summer/early fall. Most everything I'm planting this year is getting planted as soon as I start seeing ground through the snow in spring, and I'll aim to pick it all up and haul it to camp and plant all in the same week. If my seed doesn't land in some snow, i'll consider myself late.
I would doubt that I will plant anything before July 4. Gonna let my clover and Winter Rye do it's thing before I terminate the rye in July (?). Then put in some brasica plots, maybe some beans and left over corn(?) and some sorghum. Then mow my clover and trails.....and wait until late August or September to plant my winter rye and annual clovers.

Last edited:
I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I think prices are going to go up for many seeds, especially wheat.

I’ve got most of my seed for next year except WR and oats. I’ll probably wait til summer to buy those. I don’t feel like storing them for 9 months like I did last year.

What rye variety are you trying to get?

What rye variety are you trying to get?
Earlier this year I had planned to buy Aroostook Rye......as it matures earlier in the summer thus allowing me to plant sooner. But I've decided I am too far north to get a third crop to grow.....so now I am rethinking that.

I am not going to plant anything until mid July this year. And in mid summer I will nuke some clover and plant my brasica mix. Then in early September...... I believe I am going to go with triticale in place of the winter rye this year.

Does Lacrosse Seed have Aroostook rye? I couldnt find it on their website. I ask, because my local seed source, Mels Lawn and Garden, gets some of their seed from there.