Post Your Favorite Mushroom Photo!

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
As suggested by Lois, post photo's of your favorite mushroom. Here's mine, picture taken a couple weeks ago at my farm in Jackson County. I've been told it is a Cortinarius iodes:

mushroom2a.jpg mushroom2.jpg

I am REALLY psyched about a mushroom thread. Would love to see everyone's favorite shots. Here are some of my favorite "shroom" shots.

upload_2014-9-24_1-44-30.png

upload_2014-9-24_1-45-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-24_1-49-46.png
    upload_2014-9-24_1-49-46.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 7
  • upload_2014-9-24_1-57-30.png
    upload_2014-9-24_1-57-30.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 8
This was my favorite for this year. Nice puff ball.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 7
This was my favorite for this year. Nice puff ball.

That's a great photo PRK! Real nice color contrast...;)

I am REALLY psyched about a mushroom thread. Would love to see everyone's favorite shots. Here are some of my favorite "shroom" shots.

Lois, Do you know the name of the yellow and white spotted mushroom - that's my son's favorite? Great photo's thanks for sharing...;)

2nd hand, it is a member of the poisonous Amanita family - it is called amanita flavoconia. If you put that into google and click images you will see some nice specimens coming up. My very favorite is the red version Amanita muscaria. Check that one out and you will see basically the same configuration only in bright red with white spots. I absolutely LOVE that mushroom. Never saw one in red but I am hopeful We have lots of the yellow ones growing. Put in Amanta muscaria in google images and you will see exquisite shots of them.

2nd hand - check out this google link - red mushrooms with white spots to die for! It is so exciting to find a crop of these sorts of mushrooms springing up. I have never encountered the red ones but just about one month ago a whole bunch of the yellow variant sprung up on one of our pathways near the pond. I keep hoping for the red ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=amanita flavoconia&biw=1280&bih=856&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8o0jVLPqI9HCsASP44LIDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=amanita muscaria

here is the much less exciting Amantita flavoconia as what I posted

https://www.google.com/search?q=ama...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=amanita+flavoconia

They are OK as a second choice but the reds are really spectacular. Looks like you and I do not have much company here when it comes to mushrooms or at least posting mushrooms. Commonly one gets tons of great shots when you invite folks to post mushroom shots.

check out this site http://www.mykoweb.com/photography/index.html tons of fantastic "shroom shots"

Last edited:
4e65d71e-1524-4ba1-a2b7-895bedd68d03_zps2f81b583.jpg

20120908_100504.jpg

061812204549.jpg

2012-05-16_13-00-31_916.jpg

Nice! I used to live in Bloomfield, NJ - grew up there. Sure do miss the difference in zones. I am now 5b in New Milford, PA. Land prices in NJ are so high that it is virtually impossible to buy acreage there anymore. We bought 40 acres in PA in 2005 for a very reasonable price. Can you just imagine what that would cost us in Sussex or Warren counties to say nothing of Hunterdon - way above our piggy-bank, for sure. After I got married, I moved into my husband's home in Hunterdon County. Before that I had a house on a postage-stamp sized lot in Clifton NJ. It was nice enough living in Hunterdon County BUT but no land - we had less than 1/2 acre - more like 1/3 and we longed for land, in any event. We didn't even look in NJ - knew we could never afford any kind of significant acreage there.

On another subject, there is a whole lot of talk on all of these sorts of hunting sites about "food plots" I never knew much about them before I came here to PA. Seems like there is a wide variation in what even constitutes a food plot, in the first place. Do they even work? Are they suppose to feed wildlife all year long or just for the hunting season. I'd put one in if I thought it would keep Bambi away from the rest of my stuff. My fear, however, is that it would just draw a whole bunch more of them in than are already here - which is way too many of them, in the first place. I am figuring that they would eat whatever was planted for them in the food plot then move on to my stuff in short order. If there is one thing I don't need any more of around here, it is deer!

2nd hand - check out this google link - red mushrooms with white spots to die for! It is so exciting to find a crop of these sorts of mushrooms springing up. I have never encountered the red ones but just about one month ago a whole bunch of the yellow variant sprung up on one of our pathways near the pond. I keep hoping for the red ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=amanita flavoconia&biw=1280&bih=856&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8o0jVLPqI9HCsASP44LIDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=amanita muscaria

here is the much less exciting Amantita flavoconia as what I posted

https://www.google.com/search?q=amanita flavoconia&biw=1280&bih=856&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8o0jVLPqI9HCsASP44LIDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=amanita flavoconia

They are OK as a second choice but the reds are really spectacular. Looks like you and I do not have much company here when it comes to mushrooms or at least posting mushrooms. Commonly one gets tons of great shots when you invite folks to post mushroom shots.

check out this site http://www.mykoweb.com/photography/index.html tons of fantastic "shroom shots"

Hey Lois, Thanks for all the info! All those red and white spotted mushrooms remind me of "Toad" in the Mario video games my son plays! Thanks again...;)

Toads are another thing I REALLY like. I wish we had a reptile and amphibian section on this forum where we could all post pics of the various such animals we come across or else have in our photo collection. For sure, people who spend a lot of time outdoors must come across these animals Who is it that decides on the the sub-forums. I am thinking that perhaps there are other people besides me who are "into" these kinds of creatures. Seems to me that if you hunt, you probably also fish and from there it is an easy stretch to go from fish into reptiles and amphibians. It is sort of the next step up the evolutionary chain.

People who fish are sort of handy to have around. They bring home tasty stuff for dinner. When I was growing up, my father and brother both fished - deep sea - and we had some good fish dinners when they got in the mood to go out fishing. When you grow up on the east coast of the country (NJ, in my case) lots of folks would commonly go out deep sea fishing on charter boats which took people out into the ocean. The Jersey shore was famous for the various charter fishing boats which took people - mostly it was a guy thing - out on fishing trips. When I worked as a nurse in the hospital - before I became a nurse practitioner - the docs and male nurses would commonly all get together to charter boats and go out deep-sea fishing. You don't need a license to fish in the ocean so anyone can go on the spur of the moment. I believe the boats rented the fishing equipment to the people, as well. In fact, they must have done so because I never saw any fishing poles around our house growing up. I suppose it was the same all up and down the coast. I have some great shots of sunrise coming up on Frenchman's Bay in Bar Harbor, ME (talk about fishing!). Am I allowed to post them anywhere?

Photo's look great Milkmaze! The color contrasts are super - I especially like your third photo - nice job...;)

thanks, not bad for cell phone pics............

saw one today on the side of the road I wish I could have gotten a picture of but I was a passenger driving down the road....... big enough to spot at 60 mph.