Post your Apple/Pear/Plum/etc.. Tree Success!

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Lets see some projects that started with your or seedling trees and are now producing. I'm just starting out in the planting phase so I'd love to see some folks that have been there done that and are no reaping the fruits of their hard work.

Badger, very nice pics! I bet that was pretty exciting seeing those things throw some fruit. I can't wait to see the day when my fruit trees do the same!

Hey when the tree bug bites, it bites hard. :D

Yea - and the guys on these forums are CARRIERS of the fruit tree bug!!! Every one of you (us )!!! All good.

Sorry guys. Stu tried to warn me but honestly I think all the help he provided to me only fueled the fire. So yeah blame Stu.

If anyone can find any Columbia rootstock, I would take 10 or 15 of them.

No grafting is needed.

Seed apple from Grandma.
IMG_8236.JPG

I'd bet Columbia comes true to seed Art
I think I might have a few seedlings -somewhere????

Winter Wildlife Crab from SLN.
9-5-10040.jpg

Purdy apple from SLN. A bear decided that it didn't need a central leader :mad:.
8-5-13034.jpg

Dolgo crab.
7-12-12012.jpg

Winter Wildlife Crab from SLN.
9-5-10040.jpg

Purdy apple from SLN. A bear decided that it didn't need a central leader :mad:.
8-5-13034.jpg

Dolgo crab.
7-12-12012.jpg
Those are some great looking trees, I'm jealous. I also had a bear prune some branches last year when my first trees finally produced apples, but I got back at the bear population when I drew my bear tag.

I found a giant wild crabapple at our new place in SE MN that has fruit very similar to your dolgo, but my fruit was just a little darker in color. I need to get a picture to share with everyone, but the tree has to be pushing 25 feet tall and after releasing it from competition it had hundreds or possibly thousands of pounds of fruit last fall.

Dolgo crab.
7-12-12012.jpg

The size of this tree and the girth of it is impressive, that thing has so much fruit its ridiculous!

Now we just need Ben, Maya, and/or AppleMan to chime in on other rootstocks. I had some of the "G" series rootstocks planted on my old place and at my folks' place, but can't give any follow up on them now. I know Ed has at least a few of those as well and so does aerospace (I'm sure others do too...lee?). I had some interstems at my folks' place that intrigued me as well, but doubt I'll plant any here.
No G series yet, but I'm definitely thinking of getting some g30 stock next year supposed to be same size as m7 but very early bearing. Down fall is it probably need to be staked for life

Now we just need Ben, Maya, and/or AppleMan to chime in on other rootstocks. I had some of the "G" series rootstocks planted on my old place and at my folks' place, but can't give any follow up on them now. I know Ed has at least a few of those as well and so does aerospace (I'm sure others do too...lee?). I had some interstems at my folks' place that intrigued me as well, but doubt I'll plant any here.

Here's a 3rd leaf Zestar! on G.30. It flowered last year but didn't put out fruit. This year it has quite a few flowers so I am hoping I see my first fruit this year. I pamper the heck out of this thing and am pretty aggressive with the training. I just gave it a permanent 7 r 8' steel tpost last weekend. I have heavy clay here at home and it seems to grow well.

CameraZOOM-20140510075928807.jpg

I also have a 2nd leaf Sweet 16 and a 2nd leaf Honeycrisp also on G.30. The sweet 16 can been seen in the background of the picture above. The Honeycrisp is living in a 30 gallon roottrapper, i bought it last year and I have had a hard time finding a home for it in my yard. I hope to get it planted by next year. I will keep you all posted on my experience with this root.

Talked to Tino at Cummins nursery. He said that they would have a limited number of the G969 rootstock for sale in 2015. This will produce a tree between M7 & MM106 size with the characteristics of the other G series rootstocks.
http://www.cctec.cornell.edu/plants/GENEVA-Apple-Rootstocks-Comparison-Chart-120911.pdf
Just another choice for us grafting addicts to ponder on.

Those are some great looking trees, I'm jealous. I also had a bear prune some branches last year when my first trees finally produced apples, but I got back at the bear population when I drew my bear tag.

I found a giant wild crabapple at our new place in SE MN that has fruit very similar to your dolgo, but my fruit was just a little darker in color. I need to get a picture to share with everyone, but the tree has to be pushing 25 feet tall and after releasing it from competition it had hundreds or possibly thousands of pounds of fruit last fall.
My dolgos get almost purple when dead ripe or a bit past.

Now thats a producer and quite purdy! You say you planted that from seed?

I've got a row of flowering crabs that I planted 25 years ago and there is an oddball apple on each end of the row. From the size of the trees, I think it was one of the handful off apple seedlings that my wife's Grandma gave me about that same time. I started planting apple seeds after that, but think this tree was started by Grandma.

I forgot the tree was even there and my wife looked back in the willows as we drove past and says-Look at that! It has a fence round it so I had to plant it.