Pond water for spraying

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I remember reading somewhere that there may be something in pond water that deactivates roundup. Is that correct and if so is there something you can add to it to negate the effect. I have a bunch of standing water available and would assume use it vs hauling a bunch of water. Think it has been talked about on here before but couldn't figure a way to search it. Thanks

You can probably add AMS for a water treatment to your tank,be sure to filter or pump into a livestock tank and let it settle out.I have said it before that my windmill is one of the best things on the farm.I fill a tank that has almost exactly 275 gal to fill tote with trash pump.The next best thing is a cased water well that I have a pump and 600 ft of 1 inch line on

You can probably add AMS for a water treatment to your tank,be sure to filter or pump into a livestock tank and let it settle out.I have said it before that my windmill is one of the best things on the farm.I fill a tank that has almost exactly 275 gal to fill tote with trash pump.The next best thing is a cased water well that I have a pump and 600 ft of 1 inch line on
Can you add onto the windmill trash pump thing? I have two wells on my place one of them has a windmill but it has a broken shaft that used to pump the water. I can grab onto the broken shaft where it attaches to the well hydrant and manually get water to flow. Are you using a trash pump of sorts in place of the windmill action? I have power at my windmill already. I’ve trying to come up with a way to make this active again.

I have used some pretty nasty looking swamp water. I use a 750 gallon per hour livewell pump. Lawnmower battery for power. I tie an empty coke bottle just up hose from pump to keep it off bottom. Never suspected the dirty water affected the vegetation kill.

I have used pond water many times to make a Roundup mix. One of my prime food plots is a LONG ways from regular water, but I have a little watering pond close by that saves me a lot of back and forth time. I put a screen over the tank opening when I dump the water in to filter out the bigger stuff and then frequently check/clean the sprayer filters too. I have never noticed a drop off in effectiveness, but I also have never "controlled" for any differences in water quality either. So maybe there is something to it??

All I know is that stuff is dead after being sprayed with pond water, so it can't reduce the effectiveness down to a place where nothing happens IMO. It might be less effective, I don't know, but it sure isn't non-effective.

If pond has been treated with some kind of pond dye or algae stop I could see maybe a chance at some kind of chemical cross contaminant neutralizing some of the Roundup potency or changing its potency. Would be easy to just call the Monsanto help line and ask if your pond is treated.

I have used creek water for years, no problems.

Awesome thanks, i will see if i can find some ams to add just in case.

Most of the time you shouldn't have an issue maybe would if it was really hard water and a treatment would help.I use a windmill using a cased well and then it pumps into the livestock tank and then I pump from it to the tote with a trash pump.I have another cased well that I pump with a low level pump,pump.jpg