Plums for people

Ben.MN/WI

5 year old buck +
Anyone else plant plums to eat fresh? i tried my first plum today off my 4 year old superior plum tree and it was awesome. I'm not much of a plum fruit fan in general, so I was really surprised how good it was. I might have to plant a second tree next spring it was so good. This tree was a fast grower with a nice natural shape, which is hard to beat.

We have Mount Royal, Toka, and Waneta. Mount Royal is very good eating. Other two fruited this year, so in a week or two ill be able to try them too. Mount Royal is ready right now.

Last year I planted Mt. Royal, Black Ice and Toka plums for eating... the black ice has 3 - well now 2 (tasted pretty good) . A lot of the old farms around here had an apple tree or two along with some plum trees for eating. Out of college I rented a farm house that had 4-5 plum trees and It was always a treat to pick them for eating.

Plums are something I want to add next spring, I sure like eating them and they are great for wildlife.

Planted one 6 years ago, started producing last year, and the kids love them more than the apples. Only complaint is the have a short window of peak ripeness.

I planted my first plum trees this spring. I went with 3 from Cummin's. Castleton, Vision, and Rhine Claude Conducta. All on Marianna GF8-1 rootstock. Beautiful feathered trees that were almost 1.5" girth, some of the best looking trees i've ever seen from Cummin's.

Any disease issues with plums typically? Looking at adding some in 2018

I haven't noticed any disease issues on my plums. Or if there are any diseases on my plums they don't seem to impact the tree growth or fruit production yet.

I have a toka and pipestone, planted as bare root this past spring. No diseases so far, and beetles that ate up my apples and chestnuts left the plums alone. Hoping for a few plums next year.

I think more people would "like" plums if they had them available and eat them at peak ripeness. A lot of the time the ones at the store are well past that point and don't taste very good. Whereas a lot of people can't tell as much of a difference in apples that have been in storage for months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to get either a santa rosa or burgandy plum as a pollinator for my dapple dandy pluot tree, If you have never had a pluot they are very good, a cross between a plum and apricot.

I just harvest Cherokee plums off some public pieces... not enough space in the back yard for a fruit tree without stepping all over anything that drops :/(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have planted a waneta, black ice, toka, and superior plum tree. They are all still young but I haven had any problems other than the aphids that got after my toka tress this year. So far I've only tasted the superior but if you ask me the name is true to the taste of the plum.