Plot pics - brassica activity?

sticknstring

5 year old buck +
Haven't been hunting this piece yet, but monitoring cameras. Deer activity was high on both these plots, until a week ago. What's everyone's experience been w/ canola (rape)? This was my first time planting it along some some other brassicas. Very little sign the past week or so. Will it gain attraction? There has been a few frosts already. Even the corn plot w/ clover/rye on the perimeter has been slow. The red oaks have been dropping a record yield the past few weeks (not on my place) so I'm not really surprised at the lack of activity.

20151021_112259_zpsdzqbpllo.jpg

20151021_112650_zpsjh0qicjk.jpg

20151021_112330_zpsvbaqhqiw.jpg

20151021_112353_zpsd96qfjth.jpg

20151021_112945_zps7du8lr1c.jpg

I have nothing to add other than that last photo looks like it should be in a magazine or something. Beautiful.

Thanks. Absolute gorgeous time of year, no doubt! Just wish the acorns would get gobbled up a little quicker. Here's another shot from a little different angle. There's weeds there, trust me!
IMG_0498_zpsaslbpugq.jpg

Geez.......now I feel completely incompetent.:) But seriously those plots are absolutely beautiful. Nice job!!!

Satchmo - I was just up in your neck of the woods last weekend at a buddy's cabin halfway between 64 and Nimrod. Saw a bunch of deer, but nothing worthy of an arrow this early. Pretty flat where he's at, but a multitude of bedding habitat. He does plots, but the soil is pretty sandy.

Satchmo - I was just up in your neck of the woods last weekend at a buddy's cabin halfway between 64 and Nimrod. Saw a bunch of deer, but nothing worthy of an arrow this early. Pretty flat where he's at, but a multitude of bedding habitat. He does plots, but the soil is pretty sandy.
sticknstring - You had to be darn close to my place then and yes, sand is NOT something we have a shortage of. It definitely presents a set of challenges, but I'm learning.

P.S. I have no illusions that I will ever have plots like yours though.

That is a head scratcher. Only wild guesses I could come up with is maybe corn harvest is disrupting the bedding routine, or you had dogs or coyotes push them out for the time being. Lots of change going on with leaves falling, frost wilting some things and turning others sweet, combines rolling, etc.

They just started hitting my brassicas this last week, we had our first hard frosts this last week.

I would not worry a bit! The deer will have them leveled in no time. They do this with my Brassicas but it doesn't last long. Maybe a week or two and then they come right back and hammer them. Acorns, Corn or beans being harvested or something like that is probably the reason they left. The high winds have knocked every last acorn to the ground by my and so the deer were in the oaks. I see your Dwarf Essex Rape is flowering also. They'll hammer the stems when the snow flies. They may just think it's too perfect to eat like MoLandOwner said!

That right there is why I wish I could plant brassica. Its so purdy to look at!

I'd rather have an ugly plot that they like to eat! This may be the last year of the brassica experiment. Too many other goodies around I guess. Supposed to get cold next week, maybe that'll get 'em goin.

Last year I had 3.5 acres of brassicas, come spring time, nothing left.

Good to know guys. Hopefully I'll have a positive follow up in a week or two.

I'm over by Parkers Prairie and I have had mixed success with Brassicas. GHR they love and they eat the leaves well before any frost. Other than that I see no activity on brassicas and I have tried Purple tops, Green Globe DER and others.

One note, these brassicas were in an open area with little cover but again they did eat the GHR. This year I have a much smaller planting in a hidden spot and to date its still GHR but am waiting on a hard frost. I'll probably check them again in a week. By far the best draw in my area (Ag) is corn and soybeans.

Last edited:
Here's a couple pics from last year taken on 12/9, we didn't have any snow that stayed until after the first of the year. They were a draw most all winter.