Plot Inputs - Seed, Lime, Fertilizer, Herbicides

FarmerDan

5 year old buck +
Seems like in many parts of the country where we plant, finding the inputs for a food plot at reasonable prices gets harder with the passing of time.

Early in my professional life I ran the local co-op, and while, small lots of product commanded higher margins, we'd break open 50 lb bags of seed and sell it by the pound. Now, around here it's all prepackaged ad commands heafty prices.

I stll stay connected to the agronomy supply business and ran across this list of top AG agronomy input suppliers.
http://www.croplife.com/top100/
If you're looking local Google a name. See what's close-by.

If you are buying locally and would like to offer a name and location information we could build ourselves a helpful little directory.

Last question, how far do you or would you be willing to drive to buy your footplot inputs?

When I first started food plotting, I found it hard to locate local places to get seed etc so I used the BOB seed as so many have done. With a little scouting around and help from our local County Extension Agent and local farmers, I found several places to obtain seed, fertilizer, lime at prices I could afford. For most of you, check with your local Garden Centers. Ask questions!!! Don't spend $10 a lb for seed (BOB) when you can get and mix your own for $2-$4 a lb. If you have buddies that are food plotting, then form your own co-op with them and order larger quantities of seed, at lower costs, and split the cost. Crop Production Services is my GO TO farmers co-op for most of my seed, fertilizer and lime, now that I have located them. Southern States is another company I use. Agri-Supply is my GO TO for 2.5 gallon glyphosate and Fimco spraying supplies.

I battle my buddies over this often, because they don't feel comfortable asking the co-op guys questions. I get almost everything for my plots from our local Co-Op. They are always super helpful and willing to listen to my goals versus standard farming practice. My best friend is a researcher for Winfield so I learned to trust the farmers and the guys that supply them early on.

This year not a single item planted or used was sold for food plotters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I battle my buddies over this often, because they don't feel comfortable asking the co-op guys questions. I get almost everything for my plots from our local Co-Op. They are always super helpful and willing to listen to my goals versus standard farming practice. My best friend is a researcher for Winfield so I learned to trust the farmers and the guys that supply them early on.

This year not a single item planted or used was sold for food plotters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next time you go to your Co-op take them along. Introduce them and remember to ask a ton of questions. They will soon learn that these guys know their stuff and can normally get you everything you need to do your food plots. If they can't, they will normally tell you where you can get it.

I'm in farm country so as long as you know what your after you can typically find what you need within practical reason. I have a seed dealer, local farm supply retail store and local chemical and fertilizer co-ops. They won't hold your hand as they are used to dealing with farmers and bulk.

Dan,

I get most of my inputs from the local coop which is also a Southern States. I have 2 locations each about 10 miles from me. One has a lime buggy that I rent, but the other only has fertilizer buggies. Other than lime, I get everything else at the other location because I developed a trusted relationship with the manager when we first bought the farm. They are also the location that is between my home up north in the city and the farm, so I often stop on the way. I buy all of my common seed from them. There are some seed, that for whatever reason is cheaper from Welter even with shipping. They provide all my fertilizer and I buy gly from them in 30 gal drums.

Now I'm operating at scale, so I only buy full bags of seed.

I will say this. As I'm learning more and more about managing my soils, I've been reducing my total inputs while increasing quality food acreage.

Thanks,

Jack

Nearly all my agronomy supplies come from Southern States - one location or another. The agronomy center in King William is about 18 miles from the farm. There's a "retail" location across the street, Some of the seed comes from one side, the rest from the other. It''s something of a strange situation but it works. Southern States on West Broad Street is only minutes from my office and I'll buy some packaged goods there. If price is a consideration, then shop a couple Southern States locations. I don't think the managers have as much discretion as they once did, but they can still price to what they believe the market will support. The other thing they don't do any more is break open 50 lb bags of seed. I did my first seed mail order this year. I had to swallow hard and bite the bullet. Free shipping or not, its expensive to move that stuff from where they are to where I am.

I don't know how "coop-ing" would save us any money, but if any of you guys within an hour or two of Richmond want to compare notes I still know all the agronomy guys at Southern States Corporate. Maybe we could work on 50lb bags of clover and other small expensive seeds. Some of the expensive by the jug but cheap per acre herbicides, too. It's a thought. PM me if you're interested.

Being in the seed and chemical business in MN for going on 16 years now, I can tell you that most of the 100 on this list at crop life could care less about food plotters. I have worked with several of the mid tier suppliers on that list, great people, they just could care less about selling 10 lbs of Radish seed to a deer hunter. The bag to put the seed in and the labor to do it, costs more than what they would make selling the seed.

I buy most of my seed from Bedford farm borough co-op, they will sell anything by the pound, most seeds are the the $3.00/lb range, they have even taken time to come up with mixes for a guy that i know who is new to plotting. I still keep my eye out for clearance BOB seed, i got clearance antler king red zone two years ago from tractor supply for 14 bucks a bag, and that was a deal considering peas and buckwheat in the mix reseeded for a nice early season plot.

I must be really lucky. The guy at the Ellsworth Co-op, Mancelona branch, not only orders in pretty much anything I want that they don't have, he absolutely LOVES working with food-plotters! Maybe he isn't making much money off my purchases, but he puts in his own plots, so I think he just enjoys doing something different than dealing with farmers.

I must be really lucky. The guy at the Ellsworth Co-op, Mancelona branch, not only orders in pretty much anything I want that they don't have, he absolutely LOVES working with food-plotters! Maybe he isn't making much money off my purchases, but he puts in his own plots, so I think he just enjoys doing something different than dealing with farmers.

The manager at my coop has been great as well. I am working at the scale of a farmette but he has been great to work with.

Thanks,

Jack