Pelletized lime on top of soil? Will it work?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
All,
I have two food plots which are relatively close to each other (within 500 yards). Last year was my first year food plotting and I ran a soil test on the one plot I really cared about, I did not even think I would plant the other one. I ended up planting the other one last minute because I had time and just fertilized it the same way as the one I actually tested. I grew oats and brassica in the fall. Came out decent enough. Anyways, the soil test last year said my pH was 6.8 so lime was not needed. However, this year I decided to retest that plot and test the other plot (the one I never tested) and the results were shocking. From a fertilizer stand point, I need very little but from a lime standpoint wow...the plot that was 6.8pH last year is now at 6.2pH and the plot I never tested is 5.3pH (the brassica grew here but definitely was noticeably not as good as the other). Anyways, here is my predicament. I have already frost seeded a few hundred dollars worth of white clover into both plots so I would rather not have to till it all up (basically throwing that seed away). Can I simply spread pelletized lime over top? (Every bulk ag lime place I have called wont bother with my small property, they only want to go to the local farm properties so I am stuck using pellet lime). Thoughts?

P.S., do I use the same amount of pellet lime as what my Whitetail institute calls for ag lime? For example, it says I need 4000lbs per acre in the really bad field and 1800lbs per acre in the other field. Does this mean the same weight regardless if it is pellet lime or ag lime? Thanks!

On top will work. The best way to lime is to do it yesterday, anyway you get it on the rain will work it in.

All,
I have two food plots which are relatively close to each other (within 500 yards). Last year was my first year food plotting and I ran a soil test on the one plot I really cared about, I did not even think I would plant the other one. I ended up planting the other one last minute because I had time and just fertilized it the same way as the one I actually tested. I grew oats and brassica in the fall. Came out decent enough. Anyways, the soil test last year said my pH was 6.8 so lime was not needed. However, this year I decided to retest that plot and test the other plot (the one I never tested) and the results were shocking. From a fertilizer stand point, I need very little but from a lime standpoint wow...the plot that was 6.8pH last year is now at 6.2pH and the plot I never tested is 5.3pH (the brassica grew here but definitely was noticeably not as good as the other). Anyways, here is my predicament. I have already frost seeded a few hundred dollars worth of white clover into both plots so I would rather not have to till it all up (basically throwing that seed away). Can I simply spread pelletized lime over top? (Every bulk ag lime place I have called wont bother with my small property, they only want to go to the local farm properties so I am stuck using pellet lime). Thoughts?

P.S., do I use the same amount of pellet lime as what my Whitetail institute calls for ag lime? For example, it says I need 4000lbs per acre in the really bad field and 1800lbs per acre in the other field. Does this mean the same weight regardless if it is pellet lime or ag lime? Thanks!

I’ve read many scientific studies on ag lime vs pelletized lime, and I can not find any scientifically studied and published paper with any different results between the two. Even the rumors that pelletized lime is “fast acting” did not hold up in those studies.

I would buy AG lime and dump to specifics. I would bet that it’s gonna take more than 2 tons per acre to raise that 5.3ph up to where you need it however..... and a few years also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve read many scientific studies on ag lime vs pelletized lime, and I can not find any scientifically studied and published paper with any different results between the two. Even the rumors that pelletized lime is “fast acting” did not hold up in those studies.

I would buy AG lime and dump to specifics. I would bet that it’s gonna take more than 2 tons per acre to raise that 5.3ph up to where you need it however..... and a few years also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I don’t know what to say. The soil test report calls for 4000lbs lime per acre.