Planting Property Line Tree Screening

MilkweedManiac

5 year old buck +
So as the topic thread title implies, I plan to put down about 100 Thuja Green Giants on the West end of our property line this spring. I do not know my neighbor on that side, and as I understand it he lives a couple of hours away and the only time the land is visited is weekend hunting or crp mowing. But neighbors have said he is super friendly so I’m not thinking he would really care in general. Still, I want to be considerate.

My question is - what is the most courteous amount of feet to plant away from the line? It looks like, given ideal scenarios, this tree would have a MAX total depth of 10 feet (5 to the front of the trunk, and 5 out the back).

Currently, a fence row separates us with cull trees growing on both sides of the fence.

I’m trying to conserve as much ground as I can because Norway’s are going in front of these.

Thought and opinions?

Leave the fence and cull trees there and plant your row three feet out from that.

There are usually state and or county regulations guiding border fences. I'd image border screens could be part of that as well. Have you looked at the regulations in your area? Assuming you're legal, the only thing I'd be concerned about would be the neighbor (current or future) trimming "your" trees if the branches are on his side.

Wouldn't the deer browse the thuja green giant trees so hard there wouldn't be any branches on the bottom of the trees? I like the Norway spruce idea though. I'm not sure what your goals are though, so maybe those thuja green giant will work fine.

I'd plant them 6-10' off the line and hope for the best. If branches cross the property line he could trim the branches though if they cause any issues on his side of the fence.

Thanks for the advice gents. I was thinking about just removing all doubt and coming off the fence a few feet. I think the law for actual fence is like 2 feet, but I can double check.

As far as if Thujas are deer food, I’ve heard some say yes and others no. I don’t intend to find out as I will be surrounding with two layers of multi-strand hot polywire and polytape. I know deer like Norway’s so I’m just going to surround them all with the fence. Too much time and effort to take the chance.

I have arborvitae and green Thujas in my yard. Thujas are supposed to be deer resistant (?) what ever that means..
Anyway they eat the arborvitae all the way as high as they can reach but have yet to touch a thuja.

I don’t think 5 foot is enough, mine are about 14 foot tall and 6 to 7 foot wide. Seems like they still have years of growing to do.

Do you like them, Bill? I hadn’t seen many hunters try them yet so I’m curious as to your thoughts on them as a quick (ish) long-term boundary screen.

Leave enough distance between the fence and where you envision your final edge of the mature trees will be to get equipment thru. Use the screen to keep out prying eyes as well as to screen your hunting access as well! Now that may be a pick-up truck and ATV or a tractor so plan "worst case". Yes you loose some room...but I think you will be glad you did later down the road....might as well use the screen to your advantage in as many ways as possible.

Good thinking. Plus, since I’m doing staggered rows I could always eliminate the one closest to the line if I needed even more room when the Norway’s get big enough.

Do you like them, Bill? I hadn’t seen many hunters try them yet so I’m curious as to your thoughts on them as a quick (ish) long-term boundary screen.

I’m using them in the yard so my wife doesn’t have to see all the junk I work on at the barn. :)
There is a full size Chevy truck with a cap behind them.

I think a single row is fine.
Fast growing? Yes after the first two years. These guys were 3 footers about 5 years ago. The first two they put down roots. The last three they’ve been going up and out.

9557C7E4-09D4-484E-8D0A-12E405EBC5FA.png

Oh and the willow tree with the jug hanging on it was a pencil sized cutting 7 years ago.

Must be lots of BS at Bills place to fertilize those trees to grow like that!!!

Must be lots of BS at Bills place to fertilize those trees to grow like that!!!

:emoji_smile: These ones I can water all summer.

I’m using them in the yard so my wife doesn’t have to see all the junk I work on at the barn. :)
There is a full size Chevy truck with a cap behind them.

I think a single row is fine.
Fast growing? Yes after the first two years. These guys were 3 footers about 5 years ago. The first two they put down roots. The last three they’ve been going up and out.

View attachment 23143

Those look fantastic! If I could get mine to look half that good I’d be impressed.