Planting dates for crimson clover

Peplin Creek

5 year old buck +
when would be a good time to get crimson clover into the ground in Central Wisconsin? This is the first year I am trying it and thinking it would be a good way to get my plots some spring/summer attraction before converting them to fall plots. Right now I am thinking middle of May since frost is usually done around that time.

I haven't planted it in a couple years but when I did it was mid to late May here in MI. This time frame seemed to work good for my fall cereal grains planted around Labor Day.

I planted oats with the crimson, I had a real hard time tilling this under.

Scott - Have you ever kept a plot of Crimson going for a year or more ?? Does it re-seed itself for you there ?? I was wondering if anybody keeps Crimson around as a " perennial " plot if it re-seeds.

My plan was to get it in around. The end of May with some buckwheat, then terminate it around the start of July and plant some brassicas mid to late July. The equipment I use is an atv, ground hog max disc, and an atv drag. I am worried a tad about the being able to till some of this under. But my plots are 1/2 acre. So maybe mow it first to knock it down a bit?

Nuke it and prescribe fire in two weeks. Most of the N will be stored in the roots and you will also add potash to the soil. Your tillage will be much less of a headache.

Scott - Have you ever kept a plot of Crimson going for a year or more ?? Does it re-seed itself for you there ?? I was wondering if anybody keeps Crimson around as a " perennial " plot if it re-seeds.
I've never tried to keep a plot of crimson going more than one growing season, I've added it to my fall planted cereal grains and had some show up the following spring but not much.

My plan was to get it in around. The end of May with some buckwheat, then terminate it around the start of July and plant some brassicas mid to late July. The equipment I use is an atv, ground hog max disc, and an atv drag. I am worried a tad about the being able to till some of this under. But my plots are 1/2 acre. So maybe mow it first to knock it down a bit?

Maybe mow it let it grow a little and then nuke it, a little bit of clover in your brassicas isn't a bad thing.

For spring planting take the easy road - try frost seeding it I have had great luck with frost seeding.

For spring planting take the easy road - try frost seeding it I have had great luck with frost seeding.

Yeah, frost seeding sounds like a good idea. Really wish it wasn't winter anymore. :(

I added it to my fall mix and looked real good in December with everything else

I frosted seed a mix from NWTF that had crimson in it. There was still snow on the ground in shadier areas of the plot and it came up good. To MR. Smiths point this ground was NOT sandy.