All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting cuttings: tools

dawghall

A good 3 year old buck
What do you guys use to create the hole to plant your cuttings? I was thinking of using a dibble style tool with rebar welded on the bottom to make a hole. Am I overthinking?....any tips on what works best for you?

I bought one from John that was made for the job, built like a tank and looks to outlast the user.

I have one from John also. Basically a sharp T handled rod you push in the ground to open a hole.
But when planting long willow whips I used Scott’s method of the drill and that worked well also.

I have one from John also. Basically a sharp T handled rod you push in the ground to open a hole.
But when planting long willow whips I used Scott’s method of the drill and that worked well also.
I looked at Big Rock Trees and didn't see any in stock unfortunately.

I looked at Big Rock Trees and didn't see any in stock unfortunately.

I used a metal rebar electric fence post in soft loamy clay to plant willow cuttings and it worked pretty good.

I use a pro grade tree spade for the smaller cuttings like red osier... fast and simple - use the dibble method for planting. For the larger cuttings I have zero experience and would go with the above suggestions but for smaller cuttings I dont think you need to over think it. Just get them into the ground fast and get a good tight soil pack around them and move on to the next one.

I appreciate the advice!