Planting bird seed

Plottin'booners

5 year old buck +
I need to plant a half acre of sunflowers for a lady this weekend only problem is she didn't get the seed. I will be gone so later is not an option. Can I just grab bird seed sunflowers from Farm and Fleet and plant that? How about the millet and sorghum mixes? She wants a bird watching plot for winter and she loves sunflowers.

I have planted black oil sunflower seeds and they grew. The deer didn't leave them alone to grow heads on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've planted sunflower/bird seed and it seems to do good, these were just from farm and home. These never got more than 6" and the deer had them wiped out so I can't tell you they will grow into 5-6' sunflowers but I did have the results I was looking for.

I had a great field of "black oil sunflower" last yr. The wife loved it and has requested it for every yr.

I read about planting sunflowers on this site. Bought a bag at Rural King. Broadcast and dragged with a pallet before a rain. I have deer or turkeys in it daily. I don't worry about weeds. Just letting it go.20170603_133555.jpg

IMG_1750.JPG We grow a small cheap seed sunflower plot ever year. The deer have plenty of beans to eat right now. They are staying out of it for now.

I need to plant a half acre of sunflowers for a lady this weekend only problem is she didn't get the seed. I will be gone so later is not an option. Can I just grab bird seed sunflowers from Farm and Fleet and plant that? How about the millet and sorghum mixes? She wants a bird watching plot for winter and she loves sunflowers.

I can do well, but there are risks. Seed sold for feed has no seed tag with germination rates or noxious weeds. In general, germination rates are not an issue. The biggest risk is introducing some noxious weed that is hard to control on the property where it does not otherwise exist.

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: Tap
i tried this last year, in the fall, the deer did eat every last one but it wasn't anything magical. If your in a pinch, go for it. It's cheap and you will get results. Good luck.

what about mixed bird seed, seems like a cheap way to get a diverse plot for turkey and other birds, and the deer would use some of it as well, I have been meaning to try a germination test to see what possible yield would be, Im talking walmart 50 lb bag like 30 bux, cheap acre of seed.

what about mixed bird seed, seems like a cheap way to get a diverse plot for turkey and other birds, and the deer would use some of it as well, I have been meaning to try a germination test to see what possible yield would be, Im talking walmart 50 lb bag like 30 bux, cheap acre of seed.

I think with a single large seed like oil seed, the screening they do is probably more effective at removing noxious weeds seeds. This is probably done more to make the product look better for consumers but it seems to do the job. With mixed bird seed, consumers expect to see a bunch of different seeds and it is harder to clean the seed and there is less incentive. So, I would think the risk of introducing an unwanted hard to control weed is greater with the mixed bird seed.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm with Yoder on this one. I don't know the mix on those bags of bird seed and hate the idea of introducing a new invasive.
Plus when I mix seed it's with a plan. I want plants that will compliment each other and in the right ratio's. Bird seed takes that control away.

I can do well, but there are risks. Seed sold for feed has no seed tag with germination rates or noxious weeds. In general, germination rates are not an issue. The biggest risk is introducing some noxious weed that is hard to control on the property where it does not otherwise exist.

Thanks,

Jack
I was gonna say the same thing. Even "certified" seed usually has a small percentage of weed seed in it. I wouldn't want to trust that bird seed, off the shelf, wouldn't have a weed that will haunt me forever.
Years ago, I did plant an acre of black oil bird seed mixed with an Ed Spinazzola mix. It was a great plot. But I now plant only sunflower seed that I buy that's tagged as seed and not bird food. It's not that expensive per acre's worth of non-Clearfield seed.
I've done Clearfield for the last several years, but I decided to go with non-hybrid seed this year because I wanted to give the plot a "rest" from spraying Raptor on it.

Just because those seeds are mixed in a bag doesn't mean it's feasible to grow them in the same plot.

Do you have a CO-OP near you? Ours sell seed by the scoop and if they don't have any out you can ask, sometimes they will break a bag open for you or even order what you need if you give them a call. Then you just show up after it's been shipped in. Easy as can be...

I was gonna say the same thing. Even "certified" seed usually has a small percentage of weed seed in it. I wouldn't want to trust that bird seed, off the shelf, wouldn't have a weed that will haunt me forever.
Years ago, I did plant an acre of black oil bird seed mixed with an Ed Spinazzola mix. It was a great plot. But I now plant only sunflower seed that I buy that's tagged as seed and not bird food. It's not that expensive per acre's worth of non-Clearfield seed.
I've done Clearfield for the last several years, but I decided to go with non-hybrid seed this year because I wanted to give the plot a "rest" from spraying Raptor on it.

Yes, certified seed does have noxious weed in it, but it is tested and the percentage is listed on the seed tag. Since there is not seed tag on bird seed or feed seed, you just don't know.

THanks,

Jack

I have only planted black oil sunflower seed, and I would recommend using it. As for other types of bird seed, I wouldnt recommend it. Most have a high percentage of thistle seed in it, and I hate thistles!

I planted black oil sunflowers from the bird food section from my local co-op. They grew pretty well. From my research, folks say th ebird food sun flowers will grow but make sure you don't buy washed ones or treated ones. If they are just natural/raw they should do pretty well.