Phenology

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
Well interesting enough that our winter wrapping up this year must be about the same as we had in 2019-2020. Saw my first sandhill crane in NE WI today and the snow is about 80%-90% melted in fields around my house. Ran across a few weeks ago while writing down my propane tank level over the year that sandhills and blackbirds were first seen on March 7th last year so tracking pretty close. Less than an hour north of here and snow cover is probably more like 20% melted but going fast. Frosty mornings here the last few days at 19 degs but the sun when shining all day really heats things up. See a neighbor close to me has some bags out to catch maple sap so the run is just beginning here.

Just to a few more items, today saw the first pair of robins and forgot yesterday was the first deer tick of 2021....time to work up some more permethrin spray dang buggers

One....I had to look up phenology.

And two...not sure what zone you're in, but I am WAY behind you. I still have 6' snow banks in my driveway and a solid 2' out in the woods. I was out on my snowmobile today trying to pack down some trails so we can tap out trees this week.

Natty the warm weather we are getting will be coming your way soon. 40 here today in NW Wisconsin with a high up to 50. No robins yet in my part of the state but the trucks are parking at the landing vs driving out on the ice. That might not be Phenology but around here it is. :emoji_wink:

Somebody needs to tell my deer about phenology. They were still fighting 5 days ago.

xVkdDxg.jpg

Zone 5a where I live and reports from. My huntn land is 4b borderline 4a

Things changed fast here in a week. Last weekend still plenty trucks out on Bago for last weekend sturgeon spearing.

The cranes always seem to push the edge of the snow boundary, was surprised about the robins this soon actually.

queen bees starting to lay eggs.....nectar flow soon

clover about to take off!!!

bill

Here is your 2023 report from zone 5a. Heard sandhill cranes this morning first day of March. Was March 3rd last yr and scrolling up to first post can see was March 6th in 2021.

Cranes are one of the first things to come back after winter closely followed by blackbirds. We still have about 6inches of snow and expect some more flurries today so a bit surprising but maybe they are doing a recon mission.

Spring is my second favorite season, and it is nice to at least see others starting to get spring. For myself, I have a good 2'+ of snow, 6-15 foot snowbanks surrounding my driveway, suppose to get 3-6" today, with lows still in the single digits.

While the sun sure feels warm, it hasnt been out much. I have my doubts I will see bare ground before mid April, then again, I am in zone 3a.

73 here today. Tress are blooming. Fescue yards are greening up. Way too early for this crap.

SE Pa. here. We've seen red wing blackbirds at our back yard feeders since last week. That's a FIRST here at our house. Grackles are also here, and the robins have been here on & off for a month now. My wife's daylilies and daffodils broke ground about 10 days ago. Too warm for this time of year - even here.

It's strange - we get hard freezes, then things really warm up. Then back down to heavy frosts, and back up to 55 - 60 degrees. Temperature whipsaw.

Last week we had a 3 days stretch of High of 35 with snow/sleet, then 70 deg the following day, sandwiched between another snow/sleet day.
This week, snow yesterday and to be 61 today.

This morning is 5 below, nothing is growing, and everything is still under 2+ feet of snow. Probably closer to 3 feet after yesterday 5 inches of snow.
Although the buds are swelling on trees, but it is March, so that is pretty much normal.

This winter we didnt see much colder then -30, and we didnt have anytime longer then a week in a row of negative temps. So in general, a warmer winter then normal, but consistently cold, and snowy.

Guy in my neighborhood already cut his grass the other day. So in February in Tennessee the grass is growing enough to cut.

Just saw robins in Northern PA for the first time yesterday. The trees at my work have leaves, but thankfully mine are still just in bud form.