Persimmons in Upstate NY

Belo

5 year old buck +
I understand that I'm right on the edge of their range, however my dad has had a native one for years doing well. I took a shot with 6 (3 regular and 3 late drop) bare roots from whitetail hill and none put on any leaves. They were put in tubes and even added the root stuff. All my other trees (chestnuts and oaks) did well. To their credit, they gave me store credit and I want to try again next spring, but just wondering if anyone has any advice or thoughts on why all 6 never made it? We didn't have any hard or even mild frosts.

If your dads produces fruit I’d defiantly use it as a seed source because it’s good for your area for cold tolerance and not fool with purchased persimmon trees at all because of your being on the very limit of their native range. Use your store credit for some other fruit trees you can use in your area.

I had no luck getting persimmons to grow here until I bought from Bluehill. He collects from more northern sources and it seems to be making a difference for me.

Attachments

• 20240628_104012.jpg
    20240628_104012.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 13
Here is a NY source. http://www.twisted-tree.net/order-plants

I’ve started some with seeds I collected from my neighborhood in Tioga County. I collected seeds and planted in my nursery bed in the fall. I’ve started indoors under lights before but the nursery bed has been easier, just some weeding.

Last edited:
I lost a couple in areas that were too wet. Any chance that was your issue?

I planted persimmons from Twisted Tree five years ago and they're doing fine in Western NY. No fruit yet, but good looking trees.

No luck for me in DEC 8G within the LE snow belt, my buddy near Chautauqua has them growing but no fruit yet.

Here is a NY source. http://www.twisted-tree.net/order-plants

I’ve started some with seeds I collected from my neighborhood in Tioga County. I collected seeds and planted in my nursery bed in the fall. I’ve started indoors under lights before but the nursery bed has been easier, just some weeding.
I don’t do nearly as well with indoor started plants I nearly always fail on the hardening them off on the move outdoors seems to be where I fail.

If your dads produces fruit I’d defiantly use it as a seed source because it’s good for your area for cold tolerance and not fool with purchased persimmon trees at all because of your being on the very limit of their native range. Use your store credit for some other fruit trees you can use in your area.
stupid question, but is it as easy as grabbing some of the fruit from his and just starting them in seed trays? I've always just bought trees.

I lost a couple in areas that were too wet. Any chance that was your issue?
this is a pretty well drained area, but we did have a wet spring. They also just never even started....

No luck for me in DEC 8G within the LE snow belt, my buddy near Chautauqua has them growing but no fruit yet.
good to know, I'm in 8F

stupid question, but is it as easy as grabbing some of the fruit from his and just starting them in seed trays? I've always just bought trees.
That’s pretty much the way. Persimmon seed do need cold stratification before they will germinate. So keep moist in the fridge until you are ready to start. I sowed them in my nursery bed so they stratified over the winter.

There is a good thread on this forum for germinating and growing persimmons from seed. It is a bit more of a challenge than oaks or chestnuts but is doable for most. I grow as many different persimmon from seed as I can and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite winter projects.

There is a good thread on this forum for germinating and growing persimmons from seed. It is a bit more of a challenge than oaks or chestnuts but is doable for most. I grow as many different persimmon from seed as I can and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite winter projects.
A warning to folks growing from seed. Persimmons trees are male or female. You need both to produce fruit. It takes years to determine if your seedlings are male or female. Buying grafted trees that are self-fertile will guarantee your trees that will produce fruit. You can always graft your seedlings to change sex or to self-fertile trees.

A warning to folks growing from seed. Persimmons trees are male or female. You need both to produce fruit. It takes years to determine if your seedlings are male or female. Buying grafted trees that are self-fertile will guarantee your trees that will produce fruit. You can always graft your seedlings to change sex or to self-fertile trees.
another maybe dumb question, but buying root stock from a place online aren't I running the same gamble?

For what it's worth I planted 7. Lets say I only had 1 male or 1 female, that would still work right?

I planted a dozen grafted named females and about another 15-20 unknown grown from seed American persimmon with the intention of grafting myself at a latter date.

another maybe dumb question, but buying root stock from a place online aren't I running the same gamble?

For what it's worth I planted 7. Lets say I only had 1 male or 1 female, that would still work right?
Only females will make fruit, if pollenized by males.

I planted a dozen grafted named females and about another 15-20 unknown grown from seed American persimmon with the intention of grafting myself at a latter date.
Are you going to use the scions from the better performing females for the grafting later on?

Are you going to use the scions from the better performing females for the grafting later on?
Yes. I have 3 varieties.
Deer Luscious
Deer Magnet
Full Draw

Going to see what works best for me.

Only females will make fruit, if pollenized by males.
Wild so I could have some that never produce fruit but are needed for politization? Ive been growing fruit trees my whole life and haven't run into a tree like this yet if that's the case.