peppermint oil

bueller

Has anybody used peppermint oil to deter mice? From what I've been reading small cups containing cotton balls with a couple drops of peppermint oil strategically placed around a house/cabin/garage/etc works wonders.

I have used these in my camper and I thought it was working until I found the mice had collected a few of the cotton balls for a nest. The smell was more of a deterrent to me than the mice. Use traps to stay ahead and try and plug holes with spray foam.

I've used fabric softener sheets with good results.

I've used fabric softener sheets with good results.
I use them too. Bounce brand

I have used these in my camper and I thought it was working until I found the mice had collected a few of the cotton balls for a nest. The smell was more of a deterrent to me than the mice. Use traps to stay ahead and try and plug holes with spray foam.
Steel wool works great for plugging holes, I had mice chew spray foam up and get in the house anyways

Steel wool and moth balls. Get some moth balls and a piece of steel wool that fits the size hole you need to plug, such as around a drain pipe. Slightly pull apart the fibers of the steel wool so that you can stuff a few moth balls inside the wool and then "close" the wool around them. Stuff the steel wool moth ball combo into the opening to be plugged and you should be good to go.

I've used Brillo pads & spray foam. Pull the pad apart & cut off what you need. Loosely fill the hole with the wire & put the spray foam through/around the wire. Supposedly they stop chewing when they hit the wire in the foam. Seems to be working.

Mint
  • Mice do not like the scent of mint leaves, mint oil or peppermint oil. Although it's impossible to coat your entire house in mint, it is possible to leave mint where mice tend to enter or frequent. Try planting mint leaves around the outside of the house, at the foundation level where mice tend to enter and exit. A mouse will be less likely to want to enter your house if it smells like mint, and will most likely pick a different house instead.

Inside the house, you can place mint leaves or dab peppermint oil in drawers, corners, under the refrigerator and anywhere else mice tend to frequent. Luckily, mint smells delicious to humans, so your house will smell lovely and you can avoid having a rodent problem at the same time. As soon as the mint leaves lose their scent, replace them. As soon as you can't smell the oil, put more oil in its place.

I have decided to get a beagle - parson's terrier mix to solve that problem along with the moles.

I've had d-con out for a couple weeks in an attempt to quickly knock down the population. This weekend I will be cleaning all that up and will be deploying peppermint oil. I also built a bucket of death and will be putting that out.

just buy some all weather bait stations. Do you own pest control.com buy the blocks, buy the plastic boxes, set the stations. maintain. problem solved. Unless you have an issue with poison???

I also built a bucket of death and will be putting that out.
I love those traps, we always put out 3 or 4 around the shop at work each winter just so we can check them every day. It's kinda like running a mini, indoor trapline. LOL We use a pile of peanut butter on the end of the "plank" and sunflower seeds leading up to the pile.

We put dryer sheets in my runabout boat for winter storage. More importantly......we put a product called "fresh tractor cab" in our boat each winter. Its a packet designed to repel any mice and rats - which typically will nest in the cab of farm machinery. They really work! Look for them at farm supply stores like Runnings or Mills FF.