Pease have a plan.

Glad you are still around to share with us Jack.

I hate cell phones too...but I never go anywhere around here without mine. 99% of the time I am in the woods by myself, that phone is about the only way I might get help if needed.

Yep, me too! But my area is hit and miss service. Hope that changes some time!

Good to hear you were able to get help Jack!

Good to here you are well and back on your feet Jack!

Don't even worry about paying for a phone. If someone you know gets a new one, you can just take their old inactivated phone into the field with you. Cellular 911 works on even inactive phones. My wife feels 100 times safer now that I carry an old phone just for the 911 capabilities, even though she can't contact me while I'm out there(which is the way I like it...shhhh!). If it is a smartphone you can even store maps of the area on it and view them offline.

Good to here you are well and back on your feet Jack!

Don't even worry about paying for a phone. If someone you know gets a new one, you can just take their old inactivated phone into the field with you. Cellular 911 works on even inactive phones. My wife feels 100 times safer now that I carry an old phone just for the 911 capabilities, even though she can't contact me while I'm out there(which is the way I like it...shhhh!). If it is a smartphone you can even store maps of the area on it and view them offline.
Great point. I forgot all about this. In today's day unused cell phones are easy to come by.

Great point. I forgot all about this. In today's day unused cell phones are easy to come by.
Yup, truly no excuse in this day and age. I have a Galaxy smartphone I got from a coworker when they "downgraded" to new IPhones. I have it set up to use the internet with wifi and make wifi VOIP calls and texts, all for free. I don't use it a lot, but if I ever need directions and am near a free wifi connection(i.e. any MacDonald's and most motels), I can hook up and download directions and store them for offline use.