Peas

SmallChunk

5 year old buck +
I don't know much about them. I've heard them called forage peas, Australian winter peas, ect. What are people using? How are they being planted? Best in a mix with Rye grain? What rate? Are they required to be worked in or will they germ on top of the soil? Thanks guys!

Awesome, thanks MO! Have you heard of anybody broadcasting this into standing beans or corn? Looking at the forecast, rain isn't looking so promising in the coming week!

If you don't have a planter or drill I would recommend that you lightly disc over any peas broadcast to cover the seed. I used a drag on my dad's plot and it covered maybe half of the seed. I planted yellow forage peas this spring and have been very impressed with them. The plants have all grown together and are standing tall. You can hardly walk through them.

I don't know much about them. I've heard them called forage peas, Australian winter peas, ect. What are people using? How are they being planted? Best in a mix with Rye grain? What rate? Are they required to be worked in or will they germ on top of the soil? Thanks guys!
Tell the Australians that the Austrians want their peas back! ;)Just kidding SC!:D LC now recommends FrostMaster Winter peas in his mix, supposedly they are preferred over other peas because the flowers are white indicating lack of tannins in the plant. They are as cold hardy as Austrian winter peas. The thing is, every pea we ever planted were hoovered before they could reach 8" in height, so I don't think the deer care too much and I believe the FrostMaster peas are more expensive. We would broadcast them with soybeans and drag them in with a bedspring and then pack them with ATV/lawnmower tires.

Last edited:
LOL, i totally screwed that one up!

I'm not sure if any of them do, I just noticed in LC's thread that where he used to list 4010/6040 field peas, he lists the Frostmaster peas now also?

In field trials, cattle have been found to utilize them better than either field peas or AWP. Some say cows will eat anything, but usually university trials hold at least some water.

Cows - under some of the harsh winter conditins some of you guys see I think the deer would eat anything they can find! When it comes to peas I simply look at cold hardiness I don't care if they have pink, purple, or white flowers - they seldom get to that point anyway! For a legume that I know will not survive the frost I simply get some soybeans from the bin. I know my deer will eat them! Young tender soybeans when all the others are yellow, brown or even gone are like a deer magnet in my area until either the frost gets them or the deer do.

Mo, whereabouts are you located?

Have a question about your business. Don't know etiquette of asking. Is it ok to send you a conversation on your profile page?

Just sent you a PM (I think)