pears...pears and more pears

I didn't plant any pears this year because I had such a large number of other trees planted this yr in the orchard on my new place, but next yr will be lots of pears going in the new orchard.

Did any of you plant pears this yr and what kind?

I added a couple more Moonglow, a couple Ayers, a couple Korean Giant (Olympic) and one Chapin.

Has anyone planted Kieffer pear in Wis? Thinking about planting a few this spring.
I have a few planted in SE Wisconsin that are healthy and good producers.
Keith

I have a few planted in SE Wisconsin that are healthy and good producers.
Keith

Do you have any other pears for cross pollination? I understand Kieffers are self fertile and do not require cross pollination.

Do you have any other pears for cross pollination? I understand Kieffers are self fertile and do not require cross pollination.
I had one that was mature and bearing pears before I planted other pear trees, so they could very well be self fertile.
Keith

I planted 9 pears i got from Turkey Creek 2 weeks ago. A mix of doc's special, kieffer, seckel, and moonglow. Looking good so far and the one's I planted last year are leafing out.

If you guys want to know the secret to success with first year pear (and apple!) trees, I have found the perfect formula. :emoji_astonished: Its pretty easy, really.

I'm a little surprised that no one has asked about my secret to success. :emoji_laughing:

Here fishy, fishy :emoji_grinning:

I'm a little surprised that no one has asked about my secret to success. :emoji_laughing:
I'll bite; what's your secret?

OK, but not going to be as funny now (if it was ever going to be).

First, you must do all the normal stuff, well-drained area, fabric, cage, screen, etc.

Second, start with a pile of soil classified as USDA Prime Farmland. Sharon silt-loam association works for me.

Third, place said soil into temperate S.IL. Zone 6b.

Fourth, make a deal with the weatherman. Here's what I got for precip last year.

rain2016_zpsxzj2akyv.jpg

Check out that July-August-September rain!!!!

That's it, pretty simple. Almost guaranteed success for first year in the ground trees!!

I really do appreciate what some of you cold-weather guys have to go through to get trees to grow. I know I'm extremely blessed with what I have. That rainfall though, can't count on that again for sure!!

Has anyone planted Kieffer pear in Wis? Thinking about planting a few this spring.
We will see, I have 10 if them going in between two different properties in 4b.

I have a Kieffer that was loaded with blooms last year until that late freeze did them in.

OK, but not going to be as funny now (if it was ever going to be).

First, you must do all the normal stuff, well-drained area, fabric, cage, screen, etc.

Second, start with a pile of soil classified as USDA Prime Farmland. Sharon silt-loam association works for me.

Third, place said soil into temperate S.IL. Zone 6b.

Fourth, make a deal with the weatherman. Here's what I got for precip last year.

rain2016_zpsxzj2akyv.jpg

Check out that July-August-September rain!!!!

That's it, pretty simple. Almost guaranteed success for first year in the ground trees!!

I really do appreciate what some of you cold-weather guys have to go through to get trees to grow. I know I'm extremely blessed with what I have. That rainfall though, can't count on that again for sure!!

So you are better lucky than good? :emoji_astonished:

You have no idea the challenges we face of northern growers of a tree, shrub, or pine ... add deer density of 47 dpsm in our area, they push over tree fence caging & tube shelter to get at the goodies.

After 20 years of habitat improvement work before it was something yuppies thought was cool, I have seen most ways it will fail.

Glad to hear about your secret ... different ball game in our conference ... :emoji_sunglasses:

I am certainly aware of the problems you all face in the north, I was trying to be facetious and it didn't come across well.

But, YES, certainly better for me to be lucky, because I've never been very good at growing things, with my black thumb and all. I too have about 20 years of killing plants, even in my ideal conditions!!