pears...pears and more pears

My black ark graft failed last year, heres hoping for new year success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted an Ark. Black at camp based on all the good reports on here. Too young to bear fruit yet, but anxious to try it !!

This I a pear that is making pears pretty good for a couple years.
This is a picture today.

This is a pear I planted today. I put a cage around it but I still have to mulch and drive some conduit to hold cage in place.

This is a pear that I got on clearance and it died back so I cut back the dead wood and I'm going to see how it does.

I put cages around the pear trees last week, but I have to anchor the cages down this weekend.

The pears I planted this year are mainly an early pear. This also means if a late frost hits then it will knock back the blooms that year. Most years I should be fine. I mainly had later producing pear trees so this helps lengthen the drop times for the orchard.
looking forward to see results.

In case you don't want to spend the money on an anchor if you cut a piece of old wood (make stake) and wedge in one of the fence squares and drive into ground. It will hold the cage in place with one but you can use 2 for assurance

I have been looking hard at the Arkansas Black.
If I expand my orchard anymore then this is the tree I'd like to try.

I'm in central Mo and Planting a variety of apple and pears but excited about the Arkansas black and Yates. Both southern late dropping apples.
Good luck
I can't wait till my pears look like that!

In case you don't want to spend the money on an anchor if you cut a piece of old wood (make stake) and wedge in one of the fence squares and drive into ground. It will hold the cage in place with one but you can use 2 for assurance
That's a good idea!

I'm in central Mo and Planting a variety of apple and pears but excited about the Arkansas black and Yates. Both southern late dropping apples.
Good luck
Thanks. ...the pear trees are in full bloom now. White blooms covering them.

Does any one zone 3-4 have producing pears. I pruned mine last weekend. After three years of struggles and finally a mild winter I have a couple that actually are looking good. These were the first fruit trees I planted and thus got the best spots. If I am wasting my time I would like to replace them with apples. These were pears picked by cummins for my area.

I really like my pears and have probably 8-10 varieties. Let's count, Keifer, Red Bartlett, Harrow Sweet, Potomac, Olympic, Sensation Red Bartlett, Forella, Shinko, Yoinashi, Magness, Blake's Pride ( would not recommend ), and I think that is it. One thing that I do that is not apparent in the photos above is I train my pear trees just like I do the apples. I tie down those laterals and don't let them go vertical. I will look on line in a few because maybe it is not necessary but in my opinion it makes a lot nicer tree and much better fruit.

Good luck

Michelin is another late dropper

How is everyones pears doing? Mine are loaded big time. I'll try to get pictures next time at my place.​

How is everyones pears doing? Mine are loaded big time. I'll try to get pictures next time at my place.​

Loaded to the brim here. I had one that I didn't thin quick enough and two big limbs broke out of it from the weight of the fruit. Never seen anything like it.

Loaded to the brim here. I had one that I didn't thin quick enough and two big limbs broke out of it from the weight of the fruit. Never seen anything like it.
Im afraid I may have some limbs that may break. I pruned the limbs that was sagging down low from the weight of last year's fruit so I hope I'm good

I'm planting more pears next spring, I've got about ten out now and really like the way they are growing and everything I've heard/read about them for wildlife plots.

I put out my first pear trees this Spring. They are doing great and I'll be planting many more in the future.

The pears are probably my favorite. As of now, If I lose an apple it gets replaced by a pear. That being said I did buy two Arkansas blacks this spring and they are doing FANTASTIC in my orchard right now! Might be getting a few more next spring.