Pear Tree Flop, questions

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Guys, to fill in a few spots in my orchard I purchased 2 keifer pears from TSC on a whim in April, planted them shortly there after. Yesterday I pulled the plug on 1 which had no signs of life. I scraped the bark (cambium is brown), and clipped multiple sections working my way down to the graft, its dead and brown, the whole flipping thing, what junk trees!

I pulled the completely dead one from the ground and the roots were all rotted. However this one has life coming from the rootstock, which I assume is some sort of pear though obviously not a kiefer. Should I pull this out and plant something else?

IMG_20140629_181615_zps3724c2bd.jpg

IMG_20140629_181604_zpsf22b2a6e.jpg

IMG_20140629_181558_zpsedabbc54.jpg

IMG_20140629_181550_zpsde821c0c.jpg

Do you all think this rootstock would produce fruit? Any ideas how I could obtain 2 pear trees now to replace them? Anyone have a bartlet or keifer they'd sell me?

Yeh, thought about that but i've never grafted anything before. Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, don't have any pears left this year. Just kinda wanted the orchard to grow together and be about the same age. All the other trees are doing great.

I assume its just some hardy field edge pear root stock or something, i don't know how to find the nursery that grows for TSC.

Alright thanks man, I'll just let it grow and harden off this season and choose a leader to let live and see what happens.

I have a kieffer pear from TSC also that never woke up also. Have you checked with them about there return policy on trees?

I have a kieffer pear from TSC also that never woke up also. Have you checked with them about there return policy on trees?

I have not as I do not any longer have the receipt and figured that wouldn't do jack for me.

i had a keiffer pear from TSC that i planted last year. planted two side by side. one leafed out and grew very well, the other had no signs of growth on july 1st (zone 6). so i went back to the store, the manage said i could return it. when i went back a week later to dig it up it had leafed out! it's doing well now. anyway, their return policy seemed good, at least the local manager was willing to help me out.

today while out at Lowes home improvement I notice they have fruit and shade trees on sale, 75% off. fruit trees were 5.75 each, and they had nutal and norhtern red oak that were 12 feet tall, 1.25 caliber trees for 15 bucks. If you can get to water them, they might be a good choice to ditch the sick/ dying and replace.

today while out at Lowes home improvement I notice they have fruit and shade trees on sale, 75% off. fruit trees were 5.75 each, and they had nutal and norhtern red oak that were 12 feet tall, 1.25 caliber trees for 15 bucks. If you can get to water them, they might be a good choice to ditch the sick/ dying and replace.

Yeh but those are dwarf trees with a max of 15 feet, at least thats what all the box stores are rated at where I live. That is to short here with as many deer as we have.