Pear pics 2020

Rit

5 year old buck +
F09814C1-E758-4CA9-93B1-65E2A14C8753.jpeg

Because I can’t post in the apple picture thread. Did anyone get pears this year? I had 3 trees in full bloom and managed a single pear due to the late frost. This is a Kieffer still hanging on into the beginning of the season.

I’m in the same boat as you, that mid May freeze killed almost all of my fruit off. I had a great fruit set too especially the pears, after the temp drop they turned black and fell off. All I’ve got this year are a few crabs that were able to push a little fruit.

Reactions: Rit
I lost 100% of my pears this year to late frost. I had a few Galloway going fruit for the first time, I was bummed.

Trees I planted back in the 2015 time frame are just starting to produce down my way in Florida.

Few of the pears on the trees are absolute whoppers! This one was darn near the size of a softball.

20200923_172205.jpg

Most of my pears got hit by the late freeze. However, I did have some Ayers earlier and just picked the ones below. They are supposed to be Moonglow, but I've never been sure that they really are.

WYoZjfv.jpg

0T94Egc.jpg

We had a bumper crop in GA. Everyone had limbs breaking. Will need to see if I can dig up some pictures. Had some apples as well, but the raccoons and possums got most of them.

Reactions: Rit
Most of my pears got hit by the late freeze. However, I did have some Ayers earlier and just picked the ones below. They are supposed to be Moonglow, but I've never been sure that they really are.

WYoZjfv.jpg

0T94Egc.jpg
When do those Ayers drop for you? I was thinking about grafting some next Spring. The Callery pear trees that I learned about from your top working thread have been absolutely amazing. I knew they would grow fast but had no ideal they could grow that fast and big in one season.

My lone pear is missing. It’s not on the ground nor do I have any broken branches. We did have 65 mph winds the other day. It did look rather ripe so I suppose it could have blown off and consumed.

Last edited:
When do those Ayers drop for you? I was thinking about grafting some next Spring. The Callery pear trees that I learned about from your top working thread have been absolutely amazing. I knew they would grow fast but had no ideal they could grow that fast and big in one season.

Rit, the Ayers is an early pear. It will ripen in the middle of summer. It is an extremely sweet pear and highly disease resistant. Some will fall naturally off the tree when they ripen, but some have to be picked. I rate it as a very desirable pear.

Rit, the Ayers is an early pear. It will ripen in the middle of summer. It is an extremely sweet pear and highly disease resistant. Some will fall naturally off the tree when they ripen, but some have to be picked. I rate it as a very desirable pear.
Thanks NH that sounds like a good pear to get things rolling.

I lost all of my Asian pears, but the Kieffer pears did fantastic. I'm still waiting on Moonglow and some other named varieties to start producing - they're fifth leaf yet. The May frost impacted about half of our apple trees, too.