Overseeded thin clover patch.

Joe Buck

5 year old buck +
We over seeded a thin clover patch Aug. 12 with Bio- Logic Clover Plus. Was at the land 2 days ago and it does not look like much has germinated yet. We have other adjacent winter rye/ brassica plots that are doing quite well. We really don't need anymore cereal grains but I am wondering if over seeding with WR would help this clover plot? If answer is yes can I just broadcast by hand and leave it or do I have to work into soil somehow. Area is about 1/3 acre and also has a fair amount of ragweed. We are in Adams County, Wis. zone 4 and very sandy soil

Just broadcast the rye before a rain if you can. It will help your clover get more established as it will fill in those spots before the weeds do and then die off next summer. Plus the deer will eat it this fall and next spring too. Personally I don't think you can ever had too much cereal grains for what they give back. My $.02

Chuck

If you have sandy soil I would for sure broadcast some winter rye in there. Not only will it help protect the clover this year and give the deer some food, next year it will help with moisture retention while your clover gets going. I would worry about working it into the soil, rye will grow on cement.

Just broadcast the rye before a rain if you can. It will help your clover get more established as it will fill in those spots before the weeds do and then die off next summer. Plus the deer will eat it this fall and next spring too. Personally I don't think you can ever had too much cereal grains for what they give back. My $.02

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, How late can I do that? I can't get there for at least a week an a half.

If you have sandy soil I would for sure broadcast some winter rye in there. Not only will it help protect the clover this year and give the deer some food, next year it will help with moisture retention while your clover gets going. I would worry about working it into the soil, rye will grow on cement.
Thanks Nova, I assume you meant I would not have to worry about working it into the soil. How late can I do that?

This cool fall might have some impact but I know Rye will germinate down to 34 degrees. I think you still have time so I would broadcast it next time you are there. A lot of guys do their cereal grains over Labor day so you should still be fine.

Chuck

Thanks Nova, I assume you meant I would not have to worry about working it into the soil. How late can I do that?
yes, I meant don't worry about working it in. I am overseeding this weekend in central MN. Supposed to warm up again next week so within the next 2 weeks should be fine.

I am in south central Wisconsin, Columbia county. It seems my clover never does much when I plant it in the fall but goes like gang busters in the following spring and summer. I am working with about 3 acres, a vast majority of that is sandy soil, alomost to the point of a sand box in places. I use a lot of winter rye right now because it grows the best. In the plots that I had WR in the past, I am now getting good growth on my brassicas, WP, Oats etc. I agree with the other posters, never have enough of WR, Oats etc. They help the deer now and help the soil in the future. The WR will also help the clover get established and the turkeys will hit the WR in the spring!

Above post is spot on.

Fall planted perennial clovers tend to not produce much visible growth as they are putting their energy into root development. You should see a very different picture come late spring. Rye has to be the easiest thing to grow and will grow in cooler temps so I would simply broadcast when you can and let the rain do the rest.

Fall planted perennial clovers tend to not produce much visible growth as they are putting their energy into root development. You should see a very different picture come late spring. Rye has to be the easiest thing to grow and will grow in cooler temps so I would simply broadcast when you can and let the rain do the rest.
Thanks to all of you for your excellent advice. We will definitely plant some.

I took these guys advice and over seeded winter rye into a nice stand of Ladino clover about a week and a half ago. I just checked it today and it came up great. It is just above the clover now. It worked out great.

We have about 1/4 acre to over seed, what do you suggest for lbs. of winter rye? I don't imagine you want it to thick. Not sure why you would over seed a good stand of clover. We have another 1/4 acre that is a nice stand but I wasn't planning on over seeding. Should I be?Thanking you guys in advance for a reply

I did mine because the deer really love it and it seems to feed them better in late fall and early winter. The clover goes dormant sooner.

We have about 1/4 acre to over seed, what do you suggest for lbs. of winter rye? I don't imagine you want it to thick. Not sure why you would over seed a good stand of clover. We have another 1/4 acre that is a nice stand but I wasn't planning on over seeding. Should I be?Thanking you guys in advance for a reply
I think the LC mix calls for 60lbs per acre so 20 to 30 should be fine. If you are overseeding maybe not so much but it will be green late in the fall like December and the first thing to green up in the spring. Then it provides cover for your clover and then dies. All the while sending roots very deep in the ground to provide more moisture deeper in the soil.
Chuck

I like to add some WR to my clover to help build the soil and also give the deer a little more to eat in the fall and winter. The WR will grow up in the spring and head out in summer. You can mow it down it will naturally fall over in August. The turkeys and birds eat a lot of the seed heads and you can also get 'free' seed when it falls and regrows. Some folks will also spray the plots with clethodium in the spring to kill off the rye.

As far as how seed? I like to fill in the bare and sparse spots with a fair amount. I also go over the thicker areas and give it a good spreading. I fill up the seeder bag and just go and hit spots. On the 1.5 acres that I am going a combo LC mix, I have put down 200 lbs and will be adding another 100 this week. Keep in mind this is crappy soil and I have a family of sand hills and several flocks of turkeys along with other birds that take their fair share, especially on the bare spots. When I use WR, I like to have 3 different grow stages. My first broadcast was in Late July, then mid august and then now.

Last edited:
Broadcasting with no compaction? I would think about adding more than recommended as you will get less germination, but a good rain will get the stuff to grow in the cracks of your driveway let alone a plot :) We did 100lbs per acre when planting with clover to combat the animals and germination. I have started using WR and WW in the last few years and it is a great addition to plots.

IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1927.JPG IMG_1924.JPG All my clover was started with WR as a nurse crop in sandy soil.

Thats real nice WR plotters best friend:)

A couple of things I've observed about clover and WR. Clover planted in the fall does a couple of things, it doesn't grow much top growth. It will germinate and put most of it's energy into developing a Good root system. When spring comes, since it is a cool weather crop, it will start growing early and out compete weeds and grasses. Fertilize it, in April with a no nitrogen fertilizer like 0-20-20, to give it a root boost coming out of winter. Winter rye is a food plotters best friend. It is a GREAT cover crop. Provides food throughout the fall, winter and early spring green up. It doesn't require much fertilize as it will pull what it needs from the soil and it suppress weeds. And probably what we like best, it will grow in the back of a pickup truck bed. A little rain and very little dirt will germinate and grow WR. Add some WR to your plot as a cover crop, check your clover in March and see if you have any bare spots and overseed some additional clover if needed, fertilize in April and you should have a quality clover plot next spring. Good Luck.