Over wintering potted trees?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I'm dreading the idea of digging them in and protecting them with window screen. I've proven several times that if I leave them out they will either die or get snipped off at the base/dirt level. Could bring them into the basement but don't want the mess. I have an unheated shop, but don't want to water and take up the space. I suppose I know what I need to do.

Has anyone come up with a super duper great alternative yet?

I'm dreading the idea of digging them in and protecting them with window screen. I've proven several times that if I leave them out they will either die or get snipped off at the base/dirt level. Could bring them into the basement but don't want the mess. I have an unheated shop, but don't want to water and take up the space. I suppose I know what I need to do.

Has anyone come up with a super duper great alternative yet?
A3F89D33-0E42-4833-875B-5094188050E4.jpeg
If you were closer, I could give you some of these. I just dig potted trees into the garden and if they are small, put these over them. And the area gets a larger deer cage.

I also use these at planting of apple seedlings or new bench grafts.

There are a bunch of these I am willing to give away for anyone in central Minnesota.

Thanks for the offer Sandbur! Are those just hail screen and tree tubes?

They are tubes made with zip ties and 1/4 inch screen with an open tree tube inside.

I can't remember which website I found this on last week, but it probably would have been a university or extension website. It said that storing potted trees in a garage over winter is okay, provided the temperature stays between 20 and 45 degrees, and the trees get watered as needed. I suppose that "as needed" may mean when the soil feels dry or the pots get light.

Any reason you can't put them in their permanent home?

A few years ago, I was at camp with a fellow club member during hunting season. We wanted a bonfire, so lunchtime took the truck, chainsaw, and a gun with us to cut up wood. A smaller 6 pointer came into view, he was too small to shoot, but had the opportunity while the chainsaw was running. You could easily put in a tree or two midday during hunting season.

I'm doing about 10 this year between 2 sites.

Put some welded wire fence around the collection and cover them in mulch

Put some welded wire fence around the collection and cover them in mulch
This is what I am trying this year. I dread digging them in as well. only to have to dig them out in the spring.

Any reason you can't put them in their permanent home?

A few years ago, I was at camp with a fellow club member during hunting season. We wanted a bonfire, so lunchtime took the truck, chainsaw, and a gun with us to cut up wood. A smaller 6 pointer came into view, he was too small to shoot, but had the opportunity while the chainsaw was running. You could easily put in a tree or two midday during hunting season.

I'm doing about 10 this year between 2 sites.

I want to water and care for them another summer to get more size on them, plus do some more site prep. Otherwise I'd just plant them now.

I took my 3 trees in 3 gallon pots inside tonight. Crossbow and droptine still hve their leaves and have green color on them. All winter hangover lost all it's leaves the other day, but it's inside too.

Last year I sprinkled a bunch of this all over them, then dumped wood chips all over everything. Voles didn't touch them, and no overwintering mortality, including on the half that I didn't protect at all for much of the winter and got hit with some subzero temperatures (before I took pity on them).

The vole population does seem to be at a low point in our area now though.

Last year I sprinkled a bunch of this all over them, then dumped wood chips all over everything. Voles didn't touch them, and no overwintering mortality, including on the half that I didn't protect at all for much of the winter and got hit with some subzero temperatures (before I took pity on them).

The vole population does seem to be at a low point in our area now though.
Atwoods has MoleMax on sale right now

I have had good success with this product

an application lasts bout 3 months

bill

Dug them in this morning. Put them in a center flowerbed of our circle drive. Maybe rodents won't both them there? I'll be able to keep close tabs and protect them if they start getting snipped. Might have put to big of a scoop in there. Might end up washing into the driveway.

20231105_080848.jpg20231105_083828.jpg