Ottertail area goals to drop below 12 dpsm pre fawn

All areas of the state can handle more deer, but this set of 'data' borders on absurd. I have requested it be removed from the process.

The books were cooked with multiple data sets and nobody down SE caught it. It matters because this time around we are working increases off of actual numbers (so I have been told).

We may only achieve damage control long term but the masses are watching and a distrust of the DNR is growing. They made the bed. Now everybody is sleeping in it.

It would be very beneficial if we could get the Audit and have the public see the DNR has improperly managed the herd. The publicity would get allot of hunters attention and maybe provide the groundswell of hunter involvement we need.

Hopefully it gets done.

It would be very beneficial if we could get the Audit and have the public see the DNR has improperly managed the herd. The publicity would get allot of hunters attention and maybe provide the groundswell of hunter involvement we need.

Hopefully it gets done.

Next step will likely be phone calls to the elected. They are warming to the idea and have been fed the data.

Sadly we dont even need an audit to see all the blatant errors and changes in data year over year.

Its all out there for everyone to see on the DNRs own website, and its been shown over and over on these forums.

Thats what drives me nuts. There isnt even anything to really prove.

Next step will likely be phone calls to the elected. They are warming to the idea and have been fed the data.
Choke them with it until you get your audit! <<<This is the way things get done east of the river, at least until your Governor decides he wants to remove all power from the DNR and all other natural resource related agencies and give it to himself.:mad:

Keep pounding how this mismanagemnt is going to lead to lost revenue for the state to your elected officials.

Totally agree shawn, those legislators don't like hearing about lost revenue at all. Also, point out how that "deer money" pays for many other DNR programs and benefits many other types of wildlife and then ask them where that money will come from when the deer hunters quit.

Hi,

My name is Greg and I grew up in Ottertail County, now live in ND but deer hunt every year in Unit 241. Can someone point me in the right direction to gather harvest numbers/trends, hunter numbers, revenue generated from deer hunting, etc. (especially for 241) for the past few years? Who should I be contacting with concerns of the decreasing deer population? Thanks,

Greg

Revenue generated isnt broken down by permit area.

You wont find any trends that the DNR is reporting. You have to figure it out on your own for your permit area.
Here is all the deer hunting info for 2013 for starters.
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/deer/reports/harvest/deerharvest_2013.pdf

I am not sure who your Wildlife manager is for 241. Call the DNR hotline at 651-296-6157 and just ask them for that info and they should be able to connect you to someone that will know.

The map doesnt show boundaries of permit areas. So its a guess as to who you may have actually managing your deer unit.

It could be one of 3 managers that owns 241 based on that map. I dont think its Don Schultz, because he is our manager for 240... 241 is not in as big of a hole as 240 so my guess is that it may be Erik Thorson......

Thanks everyone. I got some reading and contacting to do.