Opinion: Can food plots outdraw corn piles?

I'm going to throw out a somewhat moral question here; for those morally opposed to hunting over bait... would it be immoral for you to put out bait piles to keep deer on your place but not hunt over them? Ie - I get not wanting to shoot a deer that is standing over a pile of corn, is it still the same if you have a pile of corn but hunt on the other side of the place?

I'm going to throw out a somewhat moral question here; for those morally opposed to hunting over bait... would it be immoral for you to put out bait piles to keep deer on your place but not hunt over them? Ie - I get not wanting to shoot a deer that is standing over a pile of corn, is it still the same if you have a pile of corn but hunt on the other side of the place?

I would say that would be splitting hairs ... intention and motive would be the same.

I think for me it is about doing what is best for the deer. I am trying to provide for them during their times of need. So even if foods plots arent the best draw during hunting season, I will still be doing food plots regardless. Baiting would be to draw deer to me while hunting, if I am not seeing deer during hunting, then putting down some bait would be acceptable, I think. If I am not seeing any deer, or ones I want to shoot, then I think I would put down a bait pile to attract deer. But at the present time, I still am getting some deer, and I really dont need more, so I dont have to bait. I am not a antler hunter, I am a adult deer hunter, whether that is a nice doe, or a nice 6 point buck, if it is a decent sized deer, I will put it in the freezer and make yummy food from it.

Two years ago I had the neighbor yelling at me because I shot a 6 point buck, he was about 170 pounds dressed, so I was happy with it. I told him to worry about what deer he shoots, and stop worrying about what deer I shoot, he turned around, bitching and jumped on his atv and left bitching the entire time. To this day, I havent talked to him since. Just because he was mad I shot a 6 pointer.

But back to the original question, deer are still browsers, so while baiting it will draw them in, it just gives them another stop for food on their path to a different food source, whether that be another corn pile, or a tree branch, or your food plot. If you arent hunting it at the time the deer walks through to eat, it was just another snack during his day.

I would say that would be splitting hairs ... intention and motive would be the same.
Got it, intentions and motives would be the same. I didn't know if distance was a factor or not. It seems that I read once that baiting waterfowl is illegal but you could still hunt the same waterways as long as you were a reasonable distance from the bait. It seems you could be far enough from the bait that it isn't the reason they got in range, but maybe the bait is why they were in the general area to begin with.