Opening area in the timber

A lot of good information here. The way the property lays out is basically higher elevation to the east which drops off into a low lying wetland/swamp. To the west on the front half of the property are higher benches that have a constant slope towards the swamp before they level out to a small bench. North to south is a gradual slope. It’ll drop then level out then drop and repeat until it hits the far end of the property to the north. The best suited area based on terrain is about 3/4 of the way back on the slope. It’s very very gradual. North facing however. Should setup very well in relation to the other improvements I’ve been making this passed year. This is winter number two of habitat work, and with some unexpected time off work this week I’ve been getting a good jump on things here in general.

Yarg - The only "Crimson Gold" I've heard of is listed as an apple. I'll type what's in Adams County Nursery's catalog describing it. It's listed as a scab resistant variety.

"Crimson Gold is a new scab resistant cultivar harvesting the second week in September, just ahead of Golden Delicious. The fruit colors nicely with a near full red-orange blush on a yellow background, and the flesh is white, firm and juicy. Apples are medium in size with a sweet-tart flavor. Fruit has a storage life of up to eight months. The trees have medium vigor and are very productive, so they should be thinned accordingly."
I just looked it up. Apparently it's an old crabapple cross that is still around

http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/crimson-gold-apples-a-tiny-tasty-treat/

I spoke to an orchardist that's been around apples all his life that also hunts deer and he swore by the crabapple variety "crimson gold".. anybody familiar with this 1

I have the Crimson Gold crabapple developed by Albert Etter. Only it's second year in the ground so no fruit yet.

I have the Crimson Gold crabapple developed by Albert Etter. Only it's second year in the ground so no fruit yet.

Where did you get it? I'd like to buy one.

Where did you get it? I'd like to buy one.

I believe I got scion from Hocking Hills Orchard. Can get you a piece of scion if your interested in grafting it.

I can probably get it from Derek, if that's who sent it to you.

Albert Etter was a man ahead of his time. He did lots of experimenting with breeding apples and crabs. I used to have an article about him saved on my favorites list, but must have deleted it. Now I have to look up his apples and crabs again !!

EDIT : I found the site that talks about Albert Etter. www.greenmantlenursery.com

Last edited: