Opened the Mailbox and got a Big GRIN

Jwill and chicken little you guys are the man!

I wonder why the maturity date shows far more apples than the apples listed under jwills thread?

Wow! Great resource! Thanks Greyphase! I know this was originally posted for the apple items, but anyone that is thinking about switchgrass should do a text search in the database for it. It looks to me like they will send you 200 seeds(about enough to seed 8-10 sq ft) of multiple varieties. This would be a great experiment for someone with a few square feet that they aren't using, especially if they are thinking about seeding switch on their place. Do your own free "switchgrass trial" to find out what grows best on your place(Higgins can suck it!). The varieties with the heaviest stems and greatest height would most likely be the ones that the guys in the northern areas would be looking for, provided it was an ecotype that would thrive in their area. It sucks that it takes multiple years to get it to full maturity, but I think it would be beneficial and fun if a guy had the extra room.

In looking at the accessions list, I came up with the ones I would try, based on traits that would be best for long-standing cover:

Largest stem diameter: BN-14669-92 - 6mm, OZ-70 - 5mm, OTO - 5mm, T 4237 - 5mm, PMT-785 - 5mm, many with 4mm stems.

Tallest foliage height: PMT-785 - 14dm, BN-14669-92 - 13dm, OZ-70 - 10dm, T 4237 - 8dm, OTO - 7dm, many between 11dm and 7dm but with smaller stem diameters that may not hold up to deep snows, ice, and high winds.

Overall plant height: OZ-70 - 23dm, T 4237 -20dm, PMT-785 - 19dm, BN-14669-92 - 18dm, again many others in between with smaller stems.

If I were to set up this trial, I would use 6 - 3' x3' square areas spaced 3' apart. You would need a 9' x 15' total area.
Put one of each of the following varieties in each area:
OZ-70
BN-14669-92(from Mississippi, may not work well in northern areas) Alternately use Kanlow
OTO
T 4237
PMT-785(from FL most likely will not thrive in the north) Alternately use WS8U
and finally one "control square" with good old CIR switch for comparison purposes.

Any bets one of these types could be the "little known public variety" that Higgins tries so hard to keep secret. Maybe one of these could be even better in certain areas? Damnitall, I need a piece of dirt to tinker on!

Last edited:
Here is another cool way to look at the apples. This will take a while to load and you probably want to increase the zoom level on your browser to page down through it. This link shows the photos they have taken of 878 varieties of apples.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_imag.pl?104681

What are u guys calling your research?

This is what I wrote down for my reason for wanting scions.
"To study fire blight resistance in apples and crab apples for homestead use. Will post my findings on my blog and various internet boards."

My request was submitted as looking for cold hardy (zone 3)apples that will supply soft mast for wildlife. I did pick varieties that were derived from what is quoted as the northernmost location of the wild prairie crab crossed with domestic apples. (thanks Lee)

I belong to three habitat/deer groups and I listed one or two of those as where I would share results.

It will be a long term study.

Question on the scions the shipped this early. They look awesome. Aren't they out of NY state ? I thought the best time to cut scions was in late February and March ? How long will the scions last in a fridge?
For a few months. Kept in a closed ziplock bag with a damp paper towel in a cold refrigerator. Dont store with fresh fruits and vegetables.

Wow Grey what a find. I just submitted an order and it didn't tell me I couldn't or that the program was closed for the season so I have fingers crossed. Thanks for sharing !!!!'

They will probably get back to you saying that the deadline is past, but they can send you summer budwood, thats what they said to me almost a yr ago now when ordered around this time.

NH vegetables wont hurt your scions but other apples defintley will also I dont seal my bags i just fold them over

They will probably get back to you saying that the deadline is past, but they can send you summer budwood, thats what they said to me almost a yr ago now when ordered around this time.

NH vegetables wont hurt your scions but other apples defintley will also I dont seal my bags i just fold them over
Oh well thanks for that reply. At least I won't be waiting for the mail man every day now lol

I just put in a GRIN request, went for a number of extremely cold hardy pears with good disease resistance. That way you northern guys will have no excuse for not growing pears when I get things rolling.:D On the pear listing it said you can place orders up to Feb 1st I believe. I have looked at the GRIN info over the last couple of years, always something interesting to research on there.

They haven't shot me down yet on my order....fingers crossed

Same here but more worried I didn't get an email telling me it's confirmed lol

I still haven't received an email rejecting or confirming my order? Anyone else who placed an order after the supposed deadline?

I got an email confirming my order, but it did not say whether or not the order would be filled.

Seems it's not the most user friendly site. Well it's our government so why should it be lol

yep same here, I did see on the garden web forums another person got there stuff really early, I wonder why some and not others?

They probably had their requests in before most of. I would guess like most govenrment programs efficiency is not the name of the game!