All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only plant fall plots

Bryan

Yearling... With promise
I tend to only plant fall food plots and I am curious if anybody has a suggestion as to whether I should start planting a plot in the spring to help my soil out and help reduce fertilizer using for the fall plot. I usually rotat between brassica/forage Kale one year and then oats/peas/purple top turnips the next year. Should I be planting like a crimson clover every spring and then discing it down in june? Any other better ideas? thanks

One option and one that I've used is to add clover at brassica planting, mow through spring and summer. Mowing is a must to keep the brassicas from bolting. Terminate everything in late summer and start over.

Or just add some winter rye to your fall plot, and it will grow in the spring, and give you some OM, plus keep weeds at bey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring soybeans over seeded in fall with rye, PTT, and radishes. Repeat.

I plant oats in early spring to help build the soil and keep weeds in check before planting soybeans in June or brassicas in July. You could mix in 4010 field peas with the oats for some added variety. Oats and peas both start growing in cool soil, so you can plant them as soon as you can get in the field.

My soil is pretty sandy in spots, so I haven't had any luck with overseeding into standing soybeans.

I tend to only plant fall food plots and I am curious if anybody has a suggestion as to whether I should start planting a plot in the spring to help my soil out and help reduce fertilizer using for the fall plot. I usually rotat between brassica/forage Kale one year and then oats/peas/purple top turnips the next year. Should I be planting like a crimson clover every spring and then discing it down in june? Any other better ideas? thanks

What is your location?

Reactions: Tap
I have about a half acre of quality durana clover growing but my other 3 food plots of about a quarter of an acre each lay fallow during the spring and summer. I don't believe our deer will leave these 3 plots alone if I plant soybeans in them and corn in that small of a plot really isn't an option, as we can put corn down during our deer season. I probably should disc, seed buckwheat and plow down in the fall for our fall plantings though.

Just for giggles, last Spring I walked one of my small plots with a backpack sprayer and sprayed a whole bunch of two-foot circles with Gly, with about six feet between each circle. The plot was mostly clover with some residual wheat and oats. After those sprayed spots turned brown I walked the plot and pushed two seeds into the ground in each circle. Some with corn, some with acorn squash, and some with okra. The okra either didn't grow or the deer wiped out the young plants. The corn grew fairly well. The deer ate the tops off of some when they were two feet tall, and ate the young ears off of the rest. The acorn squash got some browsing but managed to produce some mature squash and I harvested about a dozen for the table.

I plan to do the same next Spring, but add watermelon, summer squash, cantaloupe, zucchini, and pumpkins just to see what happens.

I would add in some winter rye and clover into your fall plots, they will green up in the spring and you can provide 365 days of food for the critters. (turkeys and rabbits love the clover and rye)

Just for giggles, last Spring I walked one of my small plots with a backpack sprayer and sprayed a whole bunch of two-foot circles with Gly, with about six feet between each circle. The plot was mostly clover with some residual wheat and oats. After those sprayed spots turned brown I walked the plot and pushed two seeds into the ground in each circle. Some with corn, some with acorn squash, and some with okra. The okra either didn't grow or the deer wiped out the young plants. The corn grew fairly well. The deer ate the tops off of some when they were two feet tall, and ate the young ears off of the rest. The acorn squash got some browsing but managed to produce some mature squash and I harvested about a dozen for the table.

I plan to do the same next Spring, but add watermelon, summer squash, cantaloupe, zucchini, and pumpkins just to see what happens.

I did the same thing . Spray,planted pumpkins seeds. with a dibble bar.

east texas no till drill...... worked well

bill