Oh boy the neighbors!

MNFISH

A good 3 year old buck

Last edited:
Is baiting legal for you?

Find or borrow a drone and go look.

Is it one guy hunting on each side? Any tag sharing going on? If you've seen the one hauling corn out, I'd call the CO and just talk it over with them. Maybe they can come out with a drone or steer a plane over the area. They may be up in the air already anyway. It's got to be getting time to look for bait piles from the sky.

I feel your pain. Our borders get a lot of pressure as well. How many acres are you working with?

It's got to be getting time to look for bait piles from the sky.

The make/model of plane they would use to see corn from the air is an MNFISH. The 'spotted corn from the airplane' scenario is largely a wives tale used to keep informants anonymous.

I can feel your pain too.Just found out yesterday the fellow who owns 360 acres or so around me son in law has started to guide hunters . The season opens 3 weeks earlier on his side of the power line.Baiting is legal here and it is their land so I have my work cut out for me

A corn feeder is a huge social tool that will attract hold and protect both bucks and does. You won't read about it in magazines much. It won't be a tip on tv. Your outfitter won't talk about it unless you are in Texas but it works better than most know.

And it can be a huge frustration in areas where law abiders won't do it as it is illegal, but the neighbors will.

Shelled corn means no work for the deer. No husk, no pulling kernels from the cob. Hard for them to pass it up.

A corn feeder is a huge social tool that will attract hold and protect both bucks and does. You won't read about it in magazines much. It won't be a tip on tv. Your outfitter won't talk about it unless you are in Texas but it works better than most know.

And it can be a huge frustration in areas where law abiders won't do it as it is illegal, but the neighbors will.

Shelled corn means no work for the deer. No husk, no pulling kernels from the cob. Hard for them to pass it up.
Sounds like a good job for Batman. Light up the signal light and get him over there. Lol

Give me a name address and I can stop this in a hurry.

Why not report it? I would've made the call the first time I saw him carrying corn out. I invest a lot of time preparing for the season as most of us do. Hate to have cheaters screw it all up. Call the CO.

I own 60 acres in between the east and west neighbors. Going to stay the course and work with what I got (fish ponds) and find some were else to deer manage and hunt. They are killing them and it wouldn't surprise me to find out they aren't tagging them. Sad state of affairs! It's all good on my end and I can't control what they do...I have to get back to my Kermit Acres business plan
MNFISH,

What's sad to me is that after all your hard work, your the one that feels he has to swallow a bad situation to avoid conflict with the neighbors......That's BULL. If I thought my neighbors were pulling that crap, I'd do nighttime recon if I thought I needed more proof and turn them in in a second. GO AHEAD and charge me with trespassing......no jail time for that and the fine would be a tiny fraction of what I have invested in food plots.

Why not report it? I would've made the call the first time I saw him carrying corn out. I invest a lot of time preparing for the season as most of us do. Hate to have cheaters screw it all up. Call the CO.

I respect that view, but have you ever called on a neighbor or someone close to you?

I have, and it just isnt a fun experience. The CO didnt do a very good job of convincing the guy that it was an anonymous TIP that led to his demise. In short order he put things together and figured out I turned his lame ass in. It just created a not so good situation for quite some time.
I was never heartbroken over it, but it just wasnt a pleasant experience.
I would recommend caution if you are going to turn in someone you know, or are in very close proximity to.
I have no problem calling TIP on someone I have zero ties with. Thats pretty much a no brainer, and no matter what the perpetrator gets for info, he wont ever figure out who did it.

If a CO shows up they will likely know or figure I called him in (they all know how crazy I am for wildlife management). It potentially jeopardizes my place and for what?

Bingo

I have seen them as well on gun opener. Its not some guy out counting hunters for fun I am sure. They are flying a grid pattern across the landscape.

A guy that I know was busted with a huge pile of soybeans by his stand and it was via plane was the story. The pile was in a cut soybean field..... If he had a brain at all, he probably could have spread the beans amongst the stubble and it wouldnt have raised a single eyebrow.......
Coulda been a TIP too, but it surely has to get people thinking that are pushing the limits on the rules......

I turn them all in. Its no holds barred. They know its me calling. They get tickets, then they talk about me in the bars.

Talk about making somebody think twice. Whose place you gonna mess with - guy like me or the neighbor who lets you get away with it?

I suppose this can be a delicate situation if you currently get along well with your neighbors and want to keep it that way. I would turn 'em in and make new friends, but I'm not in your situation. I have only one neighbor, and I'm not on their Christmas list since I cut him and his 2 boys off from riding their 4 wheelers through my property 4 or 5 times a day and chasing the deer off my food plots constantly.

I own 60 acres in between the east and west neighbors. Going to stay the course and work with what I got (fish ponds) and find some were else to deer manage and hunt. They are killing them and it wouldn't surprise me to find out they aren't tagging them. Sad state of affairs! It's all good on my end and I can't control what they do...I have to get back to my Kermit Acres business plan
One fall, I asked some guys to not hunt my posted land, 5 months later my cabin was burned to the ground.

Good thing is no more breakins!

D*mn Art!! My faith in MN "hunters" is fading with every moment that passes
Oh, I will guarantee you this is NOT just a MN thing. There are people that get CRAZY over deer hunting everywhere.

Is there a distance away from the bait pile a hunter has to be before it is legal to hunt in MN? 1/4 or 1/2 mile? The rules aren't clear. In a square mile section does a feeder by someone's home in the section make all hunting in that section illegal? If so a person could be hunting 3/4 a mile away and not know they are breaking the law.

Hey Jeff,
I can make the TIP call.

I will say I was tresspassing on the land after dark one night to try and poach a deer and I found this bait pile.