Off Topic - Career Advice

Thanks all for the great feedback. I haven’t been actively looking. This other company has been calling since an old coworker moved there. I think in the engineering world and probably like a lot of industries, finding someone with 10 years experience and could jump into manage projects is difficult to find so they are actively recruiting.

I have a good relationship with my boss so I think he would pull for what he could get but like you guys said upper management may not go for it. I guess you don’t know if you don’t try. Id hate to leave my boss hanging with all the work out there to get done right now, but it’s pretty significant money on the table for me.

In the long run it changes things things for my family for sure. We could pay off our land quicker and add to it if the opportunity came. Also we have old vehicles and I am just waiting for one of those to go, so the extra income more easily provides for things like that

It is a weird labor market right now...labor market is not growing, we are just replacing jobs lost during covid.

Currently employees have the upper hand and can demand beyond their worth ... that won't last long with current labor costs at ~50% of revenue when normal is 20-35%.

Regarding being happy at work ... happiness don't pay the bills. Your prime earning years are age 45-55. Make as much as you can between now and then, pay off debt, invest to the max, and the world will look pretty good as you will be in control of your destiny at 55.

The reality is ... a recession is coming. How severe is yet unknown. Hard to give you advise as i don't know your level for risk. Companies that are hiring fast and overpaying will drop people just as fast should the market turn down. The labor cost to revenue ratio will correct itself.

Employees today are too focused on "their" needs these days. While employers are having to accommodate these "needs" because of the current job market, that will change. Higher salaries will demand higher results, longer hours, etc. Most managers want employees in the office, easier to supervise, monitor their activities, and build teams.

As an owner, I want to see my employees busy, collaborating, productive, engaged, and producing results. In a world where many want to work at home in their pajamas, be the guy/gal who shows up every day, works the extra hours, and produces results. Trust me, being at work versus working at home is a great way to differentiate yourself and build strong internal relationships vertically and horizontally in the company. Many times it is the intangibles & leadership as measured by others that leads to pay increases & advancement. :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
Tons of advice here. Two things I can offer:

1. If your current employer offers you a match, that means you were worth that all along. So that menas that they have de-valued tou all along. Leave. Don't talk to them about a job offer until you're ready to leave.

2. First thing to do, negotiate more if they want you. Signing bonus, higher salary, vacation, title or all of it. You have nothing to lose if you're happy where you are you now know your worth so you can always shop around.

Thanks all again for your input. I think will have some more discussions with the new company first and try negotiate a better deal there before talking to my boss.

I’m a bit unsure about making a move and getting paid higher than others in my position when a recession could be on the way. But there is a lot of work coming in the civil engineering world with the needed upgrades in aging infrastructure and also infrastructure spending

I have been a sales manager for a few multi plant firms over time and would have up to 5 salesmen working for me. Still....I was always "capped". All were manufacturing firms and all had salary / bonus caps for sales reps. Never liked that.....but the companies thought they had to keep everyone within a salary range - depending how they performed.

This happens when the "beanies" start running the company and common sense goes away. I was paid pretty well when working for the aluminum mill.....just not according to my performance....nor my expectations. I simply did not want to pull up stakes and move to other "promotions" in the company. My wife and I were happy to live near family where we grew up.

So...... the issue became: Why do more....when mediocre will do?? DUH! I used to tell young sales reps "I have sold more metal than you have seen". (OK...that is a bit braggadocios.....but may have been true?).

When I made up my mind to leave the aluminum gig....I even asked to be fired from that job (so I could collect a pension - I had 9.5 years in....but at that time you were not vested until ten years) but the VP of sales said he would not fire me.....so at that point I called him a chickenshit......and he simply turned away angry and red faced.....and still would not fire me. LOL. I thought the other sales reps were gonna crap their pants. They told me they still talk about that day at sales meetings. lol I suppose I burned a few bridges that day....which ain't too smart. But they say Cortez burned his ships....so his sailors would not look back to where they came. Anyway.....I ain't pretty when I'm mad. Grin.

After the Aluminum company was sold a few times......they had to vest folks for work after 5 years of service according to current law........so today I get a small pension each month.....and it keeps me in beer and a few steaks with mom each month. lol. At times it's fun to re-live some old chit. Good memories of the many lessons learned in life.
A book I’m reading talked about burning the ships so you can’t look back! Good motivation if your starting a business I’m sure

How many employees do you have?
12-15 depending... just had one of my blue chip guys come in and give me his notice about an hour ago... That's a gut punch

i agree things are wayyyy different these last two years. Been more like a decade.

the higher up the corporate ladder you climb
the closer 2 the door u get.

A book I’m reading talked about burning the ships so you can’t look back! Good motivation if your starting a business I’m sure

Friends come and go ... enemies accumulate. When you start a business, there is no "support team" surrounding you, you are on your own. Never know when an old business relationship can provide some support. Better to build bridges and maintain them than burn them.

Well my last remaining engineer underneath me told me he just got done interviewing somewhere else. Hate to see him go but I don't blame him. I warned my temporary boss that he was grossly underpaid and everybody around was hiring. And I was answered with crickets. I asked if he'd consider a match and it sounds like they'd have to beat it to stay.

Friends come and go ... enemies accumulate. When you start a business, there is no "support team" surrounding you, you are on your own. Never know when an old business relationship can provide some support. Better to build bridges and maintain them than burn them.
Treat every customer or acquaintance as if you needed them tomorrow, even if you don't need them today.

I didn't read all the replies, but as an employer of 25 my biggest area of concern currently is retaining talent. I've tried hiring for a couple positions in the last 18 months and its near impossible. For my manufacturing positions I've only been able to hire court ordered felons and recent high school graduates.

There are a couple people in my staff that could basically name their price to me at the moment (don't tell them that), some I've just randomly given raises to this past year to keep them from looking, and a few others I'd take my chances with if they threatened to leave. You know better than anyone the value you bring, and if the new company is pressing that hard I suspect you won't be that easy to replace. I bet your current company realizes that. If you like your current gig, I would not be shy about asking for a raise and if they have any sense they'll likely give it. If an extra 1k per month represents a 20% increase, you may very well be under the current market.

I’m taking the new job for a 20% raise and I’m investing half of that into retirement so I can get out earlier. Don’t let your lifestyle creep up and consume the spoils or you’ll be right back where you started with a bit more stuff.

We’re planning cheap meals this week as Biden’s inflation is wrecking our margin. Kraft Mac N cheese only 98 cents at walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^. That was a big time "rude awakening" for me and my new biz. I started with one full time office manager and a part time assembly / packaging people......and jobbed out nearly all the machining and finishing, etc. My office manager and I did allot of the initial packaging and shipping to start. In those times we spent allot of time putting together a computer bookkeeping system.....which is easy today with things like Quick Books....not so back in the day.

Each morning I had to do things like make the coffee vacuum and clean and take out the trash, and on the weekends I would clean the rest rooms and sweep the floors and was the windows or set up assembly tables and old office furniture, etc. Not that I couldn't hire someone to do that stuff.....but I couldn't afford to do so and stay within budget. Also, I think it was good for my employees to see me doing some of the 'menial" tasks.....and in time they took over some of those things too.....and I never had to ask them.

I avoided borrowed money like the plague and made my small biz pay it's way each month. I was the picture of a micro-manager to start out. Some of the stuff I did was crazy tight......but it also provided a certain strength to stay disciplined and achieve results...and stay the course. There were some lean years starting out.....but for me....I always made more money each year than I got from my old job. I might add that my "old job" was nothing to sneeze at......they did pay me more than most other folks I know..... it just was not getting paid as an over-achiever....and not getting our family to where I wanted to be.

Everyone needs to set their own sails.....and not everyone is cut out for running their own biz. I had to learn allot the hard way.....most entrepreneurs do. Fun!.......until it isn't. Grin.

I’m taking the new job for a 20% raise and I’m investing half of that into retirement so I can get out earlier. Don’t let your lifestyle creep up and consume the spoils or you’ll be right back where you started with a bit more stuff.

We’re planning cheap meals this week as Biden’s inflation is wrecking our margin. Kraft Mac N cheese only 98 cents at walmart.

You haven't been listening to Brandon. He says this is Putin's inflation. Come on man. Tuna Helper here again tonight...

Last edited:

Hard to beat Mac N cheese!!!!!

bill

ba112bd2e20896ce35a72e3a5da9188b.jpg

Interesting. Main comment I saw is potential ladder climb. My SIL left a lucrative engineering job to marry my daughter and went to work with another engineering company. He worked his A off , worked up the ladder , including setting up offices in Arizona and Cali for a year before them moving back home and made VP in 6 years. Company will sell in few months and he will pocket 4 mill plus a mill in 401 k.
Is planning on starting his own company of some sort probably motorcycle related. He’s 38. Good luck.

You haven't been listening to Brandon. He says this is Putin's inflation. Come on man. Tuna Helper here again tonight...
We have eliminated ordering out for the most part but we had a craving for pizza and wings tonight. After looking at the prices we only got 30 wings for $34. To add a plain pizza it was over $50. Two years ago pizza and wings was $30. Not sure how the middle class survives this with out severely altering their life style. I have two full freezers so it is time to hunker down and buy meat when it is on clearance. FJB

After this stock market plunge and rising costs.

I should have bought more marlins when Donald Duck was running the deal.

Interesting. Main comment I saw is potential ladder climb. My SIL left a lucrative engineering job to marry my daughter and went to work with another engineering company. He worked his A off , worked up the ladder , including setting up offices in Arizona and Cali for a year before them moving back home and made VP in 6 years. Company will sell in few months and he will pocket 4 mill plus a mill in 401 k.
Is planning on starting his own company of some sort probably motorcycle related. He’s 38. Good luck.

That's a pretty substantial rise. He laid a lot on the line in a short amount of time for them.

There's a right ditch/left ditch to this whole thing. Finding that middle ground and the tension between the two is vitally important. But in general, more people need to go to work...